Choosing agencies

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

SilverViolet
Nominee

Choosing agencies

Post by SilverViolet »

Hello :D
I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me some advice?
Basically, two agencies have offered me representation and I don't know which one to choose. How do you decide?
One was established this year (so perhaps less known by casting directors?) and the other in 2010. One has more clients than the other (30 females compared to 70 females but only 30 young people). I got good vibes with both. Both friendly and approachable. One interview I had they were quite clear on what I'd need to do with regards to some more headshots and material for showreel etc but were actually more chilled, the other was adamant I have to be on Spotlight before I sign but they will sort that out for me. Obviously Spotlight deadline is in a couple of days so I have literally no time to make a decision!! Also, I think I'm going to start uni next year and so don't know if I'll be able to manage everything as I'm not based in London so getting to castings will probably take around 2 hours on the train. I really want to get as much experience as I can but I'm panicking I'm not going to be able to manage everything. Also I don't want to regret my decision and pick the wrong agency and I also don't want to get too stressed out with uni, acting etc...

Please can someone help I'm so confused!! #-o :?
risingstarxx
GRAMMY Award

Re: Choosing agencies

Post by risingstarxx »

Which agencies are these? Just out of interest
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My immediate reaction is neither, only because obviously you are a bit concerned about how being with an agency
Is going to affect you at uni etc. Life will be stressful enough let alone trying to fit a casting in at short notice, missing the train paying the fares.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

If you are intreated in acting then feel the agency who want you to be on Spotlight are the better agency as all the best agents won't take you on unless you are in Spotlight. When my ds changed agents he had to give 3 months notice his new agent said that every thing goes through Spotlight that and even though he could start to put ds up for parts one month before ds could leave old agent new agent said it would be very hard to do so as every thing goes through Spotlight. Also find out how much commission they will take if you do get work through them. Ds old agent took 20% for adverts and other well paid work and think for other things it was 18% new agent takes 15% for high paid work and 10% for theatre 12% for TV so it can make a big difference if you get some thing big which brings in a lot of money. If you have to sign a contract which keeps you with them for more than a month then would not bother, at the time ds joined old agent did not think about it but when he wanted to leave and had to stay 3 months was so annoying as he was only seen for a few things and I knew there was lots about which new agent could have got him seen for if they could have taken over his spotlight page. Also it's harder to get on Spotlight as an adult so if you join now and next year don't want to join phone them up explain you are going to Unie and don't want to be with them for a year or so they will sort it out for you so you will be able to go back on when you need to, a friend of mine did that. If it is a modelling agent you are talking about then don't take any notice of any thing I have said as don't need to be in Spotlight to be a model
SilverViolet
Nominee

Post by SilverViolet »

Thank you so much for your advice. I haven't signed anything yet as I'm still debating with myself.

Also lotsolaffs I understand completely what you mean which is why i'm finding it so hard to decide what to do. i'm already stressed out!! I just really don't want to regret not taking the opportunity!
Last edited by SilverViolet on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Just as a point of reassurance: you can join Spotlight at any point during the year (at least you can as an adult actor, I don't know about the young performers section).

Closing date is to do with the print deadline - for you to appear in the printed books. Most things are done on-line, so if you miss the print deadline it isn't the end of the world. The Spotlight deadline is different for adult males and adult females. Would you be joining as a "young performer"? Would joining as a young performer mean that you have automatic entry as an adult when you outgrow the young perfomer tag? I would check that out first.

I don't know whether the rules are different for "young" performers - but certainly for adults you can join at any point during the year (providing you have the correct experience or training). The downside is that you have to commit yourself to a further year's membership if you join part of the way through the year - so the cost will be higher as you will be asked to pay up front.

I wouldn't rush in to this if I were you.

I certainly wouldn't join an agency that didn't insist on being in Spotlight. It's very difficult for an agent to represent you adequately without it. That would be a red flag for me to be honest.

I also wouldn't rush in to agency representation just yet. You will be competing with those people who are trying to pursue acting as a full time (ha!) career. Of course most people certainly don't act full time - as there isn't the work available. However, they are available (and are expected to be) at the drop of hat. How will you cope with auditions and studying? How understanding will these agents be if you say "no, I'm sorry, I can't attend a casting for a commercial tomorrow". How understanding will they be if you have to keep saying that? How could you take on a theatre job if you are studying? Or a film job?

You would presumably want your relationship with the agency to develop in to a long term partnership. Do they know about your university plans?
SilverViolet
Nominee

Post by SilverViolet »

Hi pg yeh i'd be joining the young performers section. i'm not sure either about how it works when moving up to the adults section and if that's automatic. i'll have to contact spotlight. I definitely want a good relationship with my agent a long one too so I really don't want to tick them off with not being available etc. how do other young actors/actresses do it if they want to further their education as well as act? or is it a case of acting or university and never both? I don't really want to have to give either of them up. I did say about university next year but they didn't really say anything so I think i'll contact them and just get that straight.
thanks again for all your advice :D NAPM and everyone on it is so amazing and supportive xx
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Well, as an example, many drama school students don't do *any* professional work during training. Many drama schools don't allow it. University students may do lots of drama while at University, but it's likely to be University drama societies - or possibly other amateur work. They might be able to get involved in student films. None of these things need agency representation (and none is likely to earn you money, but all will provide experience).

An agent is only really going to be interested in trying to get you paid work - for obvious reasons.

You could wait until you have finished at Uni to look for paid work - that's one option.

To be frank,the sort of work you might be able to get - if you were not able to devote yourself to acting full time - would be things like an occasional commercial or some corporate work, or, if you are really lucky, a day player role in a continuing drama. I don't see how you could fit in professional theatre work. Anything else would be likely to require you to abandon your course - at least for a while, unless you were working during vacation - and schedules for adults don't usually consider an adult actors' schedule, they just expect you to be available. Theatre and Film work is regarded as full time work - it's very often not something you can "fit round" something else. On the contrary - everything else is expected to fit round it.

Commercials and corporates earn useful money - but they don't really give you anything hugely valuable for your CV. Commercials in particular might mean that you go to 20 or 30 castings and get one job. That's a lot of time and travel costs...

Agents love commercials and corporates - they earn lots of useful commission. They don't have to fork out to get to the 20 or 30 castings though...

If an agent is happy to keep you on while you are at University then that's great. Then you can graduate with an agent (providing they also represent adults!). That's a big bonus. Though do check with Spotlight about continuing with them as an adult performer.

It's so hard to get paid work. I honestly think that no-one truly understands how hard it is until they are trying to get it - however many horror stories they hear. There are 42,000 actors in Spotlight - and many thousands more who are not in Spotlight. Inevitably, most of those actors are out of work. Getting yourself in through the door of someone who can give you work is an uphill battle - even with an agent (unless it's one of the top tier agents).