Modelling/Extra work/Student films?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Modelling/Extra work/Student films?

Post by Katymac »

So, on a whim (without a hope & a prayer) I put DD forward for a job

I have no idea about any of this sort of thing - so is it possible for DD to earn a bit of spending money trying to get some work

Or is the effort of getting work more than the work is for (as I'm assuming she will need photos, an agent, more unspecified stuff :roll: )

Can you tell I don't have a clue :oops:
WendyB
BRIT Award

Re: Modelling/Extra work/Student films?

Post by WendyB »

Hi Katymac. I will tell you a bit about our experience and hope it helps:

Ds joined a 'background artists' (extras) agency 2.5 years ago. In that time we've spent around £400 on fees, photos and doctors notes. Then you can add on petrol to registration days and jobs on top of that.

In that time Ds has probably earned more than the £400 but he's been lucky to get a run of work on a film last year. If your DD loves being on set and can put up with 5am starts, hours of travelling, some days spent in the trailer without ever making it to set (Ds has had a few of those) but is still keen for more - then great. If she's hoping to make a packet then maybe think of something else.

Sorry I know nothing about modelling work. As far as I know student films will rarely pay more than expenses.

I don't mean to put your DD off. My DS loves his work on set, but he's never going to make a fortune out of it.

hth