NYT

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

ruby95
GRAMMY Award

NYT

Post by ruby95 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for an NYT monologue? I am finding it really difficult to find a monologue for a female aged late teens/ early 20s. I have looked through two of my favorite plays with age appropriate characters but neither of them have long enough monologues. I also bought a book of suffrage plays which might work but most of the characters with monologues are middle-aged.

Is it completely ill-advised to play a male part? Because 'Posh' and 'The History Boys' both have some great material for people my age but all for men! If I could justify why I chose the piece could that work or would they hate that? The discrepancy of male to female roles in the industry is something I am genuinely really passionate about. Could I give that as a reason or would that be seen as over-politicizing my audition?

Any advise would be much appreciated
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: NYT

Post by sapphire »

DD (who is 20) found some very good female monologues for her drama school showcase in Vera Vera Vera bu Hayley Squires ... might be worth a look? It's about a family struggling to come to terms with the death of a son/brother in Afghanistan so very contemporary: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vera-Modern-Plays/dp/1408172712.

Re. doing a male monologue ... what does it say on the NYT website ... if they advise you to stick to your age/casting type then I would do so. If they don't, then go for something you know well and are comfortable with. FWIW DD used a male Shakespeare monologue for her drama school auditions and it wasn't a problem for her ... if anything it probably made her a bit more memorable! My DD's experience with NYT auditions was to be prepared for really odd redirection ... e.g. performing the monologue like you were running for a bus, watching it happen out the window, etc.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the audition, enjoy the day and do let us know how you get on [-o< [-o< [-o<
ruby95
GRAMMY Award

Re: NYT

Post by ruby95 »

Thanks very much