life after scoliosis

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

mumamia
GRAMMY Award

life after scoliosis

Post by mumamia »

Hello everyone
It has been such a long time since I have been on here at a quick glance so much has happened to a lot of people on here lots of congratulations are needed well done.
My DD has recovered well but still hard to see her not being able to bend her back.
She went back to college to do art and photography because it needed to be A levels that would not be to demanding how wrong was we the course work is unbelievable made worse by her missing 9 weeks.
After 4 months she said I want to get back to acting so we signed her up with some extras agencies, I drove her there and then got asked if I wanted to Join in thought I might as well as I was here, so ended up signing with the agent. I did enjoy it plus I could keep an eye on DD as she should have kept her brace on for 6 months oh well.
We then ended up signing with Ray Knight as well who I must say is Brilliant.
DD has not been able to join any acting groups because of the course work is so much so doing some extras work got her out to meet new people and learn some more skills by observing the main characters.
One of the agents that DD is with sent her for a casting for a low budget film in the casting she was the only one that had to improvise and pretend she had another person there in front of her this she did and was told the following day she got the part. Then they asked her to go for a rehearsal on the wed the pay was very good and the people so lovely to her. She then got a phone call from another agent asking if she could go for a casting on wed for a speaking part for a drama series neither my DD or I is with this agent as books are not yet open but they had our profiles on file. She said that she had a rehearsal on the same day for another role and the agent said the casting director has asked for you so I will send you 1st thing in the morning so you can still attend your other appointment.
She did the 2 things on that day and about an hour later Ray Knight rung her to attend the same casting the following monday but she said sorry but I have already been he said good luck which was nice.
Then the phone rung and the other agent said you have got the part so this really boosted her confidence.
Then the following week Casting Collective sent her a script 6 oclock on the wed to learn by 9 oclock the following day 2 A4 pages this was for ITN to play a reporter as somebody on a work experience, when you are dyslexic it can be very hard but she did it I was very proud of her she spoke infront of over 200 hundred people it was an amazing experience for both of us. The also provided her with a brilliant showreel something to cherish.
Our problem is now DD will be leaving college this June final year she feels she is ready to find an acting agent if she is lucky because the competition is so fierce for girls.
We understand that she will come off the extras agencies because they do not like you to have done much extras work this I can understand but we had no choice because of the operation.
So sorry this is so long but could somebody maybe help me with a few questions please.
The credits that my DD has are limited as you cant put down the extra work because this does not count yet the 3 jobs listed above were from extra agents
Also what to put in the covering letter as it need to be short and sweet from what I understand we would like to be able to explain why she did not go to drama college ie operation but that would make the letter to long, and they may ask why did you do art and not acting which she would tell them with no problem face to face.
We are just a bit concerned that they will look at her CV and wonder why she did the art.
I have been reading so many sites about covering letters and although a lot say the same some are different some say at the begining of the letter you state what you are applying for and others say dont as this is obvious. (representation)
We Know that you address to the name of the agent so research is important
We are so stuck as to know what to put in the letter and how to finish the letter is also important.
Photos they say should be 10x8 but you can only by A4 photographic paper would this be ok as we plan to print off ourselves to the agents that only want postal submissions.
I am sure there is a lot more to write but I think you will all be fed up with reading this long letter but maybe some of what I am asking will help some other people as well.
Finally can I wish the other people on here whose child also had scolliosis all the best and hope that things worked out ok for them.
All the best Mumamia
RavenT
BRIT Award

Re: life after scoliosis

Post by RavenT »

Hi mumamia
It is so great to hear from you, and it is wonderful that your DD is doing so well and keeping so busy!
I'm sorry I'm not experienced enough to help - but I wanted you to know that I really hope someone on here can give you some advice on your agent applications.
Good luck and very best wishes :)
mumamia
GRAMMY Award

Re: life after scoliosis

Post by mumamia »

Thank you Raven T for your reply very kind words.
It is just that we do not know whether to apply to an agent that takes people with dissabilities because if you put what you want to say in the covering letter then it will make the letter to long.
We would appreciate any help that maybe able to guide us in the right direction.
Kindest regards
Mumamia