School work experience year 10 - any ideas?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

School work experience year 10 - any ideas?

Post by Littlemum »

Hello NAPMs
I know it should be my DS writing this, not me but he is only just 15 and hasn't joined the site!
We've just had a school meeting (based in Stockport) about his work experience week in July this year and he would love to work in theatre /arts or entertainment industry in some way. He's put together a list of his contacts from previous experience of acting and film, including theatres and companies - and is going to contact them to ask. BUT I know how resourceful you NAPMs are and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for places and individuals to contact? Of course his experience to date has been acting but he's also interested in film, TV production, animation, stage work, marketing, making cups of tea and trying to smile his way through situations....

His dates are non negotiable I'm afraid and they are very odd - Wed 9th until Tues 15th July (excluding the weekend, although I would have thought that could be included if it was easier for the employer / company). We've checked with school and they would be happy for him to do the experience either in Greater Manchester or out of area - and maybe even share it between a couple of places. My daughter has, completely selflessly you understand, offered to stay with him in London if he got any experience there, for example! We are also within train striking distance of Stoke, Brimingham, Liverpool, Sheffield and West Yorks. He is very small for his age so I am a little nervous about him travelling, but he is raring to go at any opportunity he can get.

Thanks for reading this and for all your ongoing help and advice. Both DSs would not have got anywhere with their acting dreams without your help so far.
Littlemum x
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Re: School work experience year 10 - any ideas?

Post by DanceDiva »

My DD looked at opportunities at MediaCity ?
I know certain departments do accept work experience if you apply early enough.
Good luck
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi Littlemum!!

Hope you're all doing well. I think your DS has done the right thing using his existing contacts - I got work experience for my DD (in year 12) this way. West Yorkshire Playhouse offer work experience - see their website. x
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Thanks everyone - will add those to his list - and keep our fingers crossed! x
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Keep in mind that it's still illegal for under 16's to work in a theatre - and work experience is considered as work. Sometimes such a daft and old fashioned law isn't even known by the schools and indeed many of the theatres, so they do it in ignorance. Hopefully the local situation will be blissful ignorance. I've just been at a theatre were they do do work experience for under 16s, and they plan this very early and insist the kids actually apply for the job formally, and even have an interview - which sounds a bit heavy, but does mean they only take the right people. One big theatre near me also do work experience for local schools. I never put a spoke in the works, but it does worry me that if the kids are working illegally, what would happen if a serious accident happened? Would the insurance company pay up if they were working illegally? Don't know. TV is perfectly fine, if you can get them in.

As I've said before - the local councils rarely know their own bylaws, which are how the rules in the Children's Act are actioned. The law is quite clear - there are four prohibited workplaces - Nightclubs, Commercial Kitchens, Theatres and Abattoirs! Clearly every kid working in a Chinese restaurant washing up, or in the local kebab house or greasy spoon are working illegally. Nobody bothers, unless the council are asked. They often say it's fine, then a senior person says "You now, there is a rule somewhere...." then they check and panic.

Personally, because my role is often the supervisory one, I'm very reluctant to risk taking anybody under 16, as some members here know - even when I also know they'd be perfect. As I know taking them is illegal, it puts me a difficult position. Many people I meet in schools and theatres are totally unaware, so placements go ahead. I just keep my mouth shut!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Paulears - just out of curiosity how to show like Matilda, Charlie, Billy etc get by then? And what about all the pantos? My DS worked in a main provincial theatre last year with a whole raft of other kids - were they all illegal?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The wording of the Act only allows work in a theatre if the appropriate Children's License is in effect, with the usual chaperoning and checking. School type work experience is different - and unless there is a kids show like the ones you mention going on, then they can't even take out a license just for the school hour stuff.

Have a look at this link - which has the full text from when we mentioned it in 2012. http://www.notapushymum.com/phpbb/viewt ... a1218a6921

Everyone agrees it's a total pain in the bum - so perhaps a good job it's one of those legal areas few younger people in the school and theatre system actually know about!
NiamhMurphy
BRIT Award

Post by NiamhMurphy »

I did my Year 10 work experience at two professional theatres in West London in the box office/ creative learning department- I'm not sure if that was illegal! (I'm now in Year 12). Wishing your ds success in finding a placement [-o<
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Gosh I had absolutely no idea about the potential problems in theatre, although of course I knew about licensing for performance. Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. I'd come across the 'creative learning' side of the ATG theatres and they were on the list of contacts so thanks Niamh for that suggestion too. We will send off some emails and letters and see what happens but bear this all in mind, thanks again. The more I think I know, the less I realise I know soon afterwards!
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

Hi
My DD applied for the Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford for work experience - they take 24 over Y10 and Y11. Had a brillant day there for interview and assessment. Didn't get in so we forgot about it. Then on the morning it was supposed to start, DD got calls on her mobile - someone had dropped out. Luckily we were all at home, she came and told us so we started to call school, get organised etc, then we realised that it really wasn't feasible at such short notice - she needed to stay up there, but RSC insisted they had to be chaperoned even though she was 16 and it was June/July time. And school gave permission but she had promised to help Drama Teacher with end of year show. Heart breaking. So the moral of the story is, if they don't get in, it's always worth asking if there is a short list in case someone drops out ...
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

My DS is working with the dance and drama teachers of another local school.
They have seen him perform and are keen to have him.
He's doing a mixture of things , teaching a bit of Irish dance , assisting with warm ups and improv, demonstrating some Laban technique and movement.
Doing some drama exercises he picked up from his time at the Globe and choreographing a set peice with year 11's for them to present.
He's very excited to do it and it works perfectly as he gets an idea of the workings of the school and the teachers perspective and it's only 20 mins away .
He has to have a DRB ( or whatever it's called theses days) ,even though he's only 14.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Thanks for the extra tips - will add the RSC to the list (even though it would be very difficult!) and also think about any local teachers / schools thanks - your young people sound amazing by the way, what great experiences!
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Hi NAPMs I just thought I would let you know that my DS has very happily accepted a place with a post production company at Media City, he may be both an expert at making tea and running errands by the end of the week, but a great place to have work experience - all your help was invaluable, as always. He also had a couple more offers which he had to decline!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Little Mum - is it Flix by any chance? DS works there quite often - lovely people!
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

fartoomuchtodo wrote:Little Mum - is it Flix by any chance? DS works there quite often - lovely people!
That was an excellent guess, fartoomuchtodo! Yes, he is really happy. Not too far from home either and his Auntie now rents an office in the same building and says they are really friendly and lots of young people. Here's hoping for a positive experience. And one he can get public transport to himself!