School permission - How long does it take?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

WendyB
BRIT Award

School permission - How long does it take?

Post by WendyB »

Hi. I am just wondering how long your schools normally take to respond when you request time off for performing?

At Primary School, I would email the head and she'd reply within minutes with her congratulations and permission. She was great!

Now DS is at Secondary School, it seems different. I have turned down several jobs since September to give him time to settle in and because I strongly believe in the importance of school work. However, we received a specific request for DS to do some additional filming for a feature film he worked on in the summer. They would like DS for reasons of continuity and it would only involve 5 days off school (maximum). I emailed the school a week ago. I've followed up with several calls and they assure me that they're processing the request.

It may be relevant that the head is new this term and possibly they see this as a precedent so need longer to make a decision.

I just wonder how long this process normally takes. Am I being impatient? Should I call them again?
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: School permission - How long does it take?

Post by Irishdancer »

I had a form ready with the day's dates ds needed would take it in as they did not have to do anything but get head to sign form and put school stamp on it some times when I went up saw head got her to sign it there and then. Never had to wait more than a day
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Flo's head teacher is brilliant. she'll turn a request round in minutes if we need it.

Good luck with your request

Deb
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

It may be the new Head had no idea of the urgency (& will probably be struggling to do everything else), but this is important for your son's future. Might be worth ringing to say you're coming in today to explain about it all - be nice, parents often talk to me like i'm not human even as their child next to them is smiling and chatting to me because I do so much to look after them.

Does anyone know if it definitely has to be the Head? It always would be in our Primary, but I wonder if a Head of Year in a secondary is acceptable?

Also if your council officer is helpful they might help with chasing, but there seems to be a great variation.

Good luck with this and the filming.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Our point of contact has been the head of KS3, but the letters of permission that I know she's written have always been signed by the head.

Good luck sorting this out.
WendyB
BRIT Award

Post by WendyB »

Thanks for the advice people. I am surprised how long it took for our school to make a decision, especially considering how quickly you all seem to get a response. However, I rang this morning and was told that the secretary was just typing up a reply. I now have an email copy of this in which permission is (very reluctantly) granted.
I am relieved to have finally received this - 8 days after asking - but have a feeling that we were lucky and if it hadn't been for the continuity issue, then we wouldn't have received a positive outcome at all.
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

In my sons school it's his head of year for one day absense, 2-3 days absense require his head of year and any beyond that it requires the head of the school.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

I was thinking about this today. Because of a website & email address change we missed a couple of emails from last week and we all worried about what the parents would think. We try to respond within 24 hours, not least because so much happens every day anything not dealt with quickly will be lost or escalate. I don't think 8 days is good service especially as you were chasing it.