Train/Tube Travelling

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

Train/Tube Travelling

Post by fizzycandy123 »

Hi everyone,Once I have finished my exams in the next coming months I am hoping to take advantage of the long summer and attend regular workshops/seminars and hopefully some extra work.Also once I finish I am looking to do an apprenticeship so I will be working shift work, hopefullly Ill have the availability to do some extra work on weekdays.Due to this I am looking into train/tube yearly or monthly tickets,although I live outside of London (Essex) I am able to get a direct line in under an hour,However I am currently paying 11 pounds for a return as I look younger I can sometimes get away with the child ticket.Does anyone have any good suggestions on travel deals/cards from train to inner London?..xx
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Train/Tube Travelling

Post by TalyaB »

See how much a Young Person's Railcard would cost and find out how much that would save you. Or do they have carnet tickets on your route? I live in St Albans and can buy batches of five or ten tickets that make the journey much cheaper.
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

A young persons rail card is well worth getting ... you get 1/3 off standard ticket prices and some trainlines give off-peak prices on peak time trains with one .... its about £30 for a year or £60 for 3 years. You will soon make that money back again with one.

Just checked for the link for you and it's 10% at the moment: http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online10 ... 2wodcrMAXw

Hope this helps!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

You can also get a railcard via Tesco clubcard deals for £15 for a year. Check out coaches too - if you are on the route of any national express or megabus routes into London you may find you have another option.

I would warn to be wary of travelling on a childs ticket if you are not the right age. You can be challenged to provide proof of age and have to pay either the upgrade to adult fare on the spot or asked to leave the train at the next station if you are unable to do so. A friends son aged 15 was asked for proof of age and had to use all the money he had on him to upgrade to an adult ticket as he could not prove his age. He was able to take the ticket and proof to the ticket office afterwards and reclaim the difference in fare. It came as a surprise as he looks much younger than his friends the same age but he was told that all children over the age of 14 should have some form of proof on them.