Auditions during school time

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

surreptitious
Nominee

Auditions during school time

Post by surreptitious »

Basically my 17 year old has signed up with a new agency this year for acting purposes and she did a 3 day job on a very well-known movie at the end of February, we said she was ill during this time as the experience was too much to say no too (don't judge me lol). Now she was supposed to do another job this week in the holidays, but they've changed it to Tuesday and Wednesday in term time :/ So she's been fitted in the costume and they have her confirmed to do the role. I was just wondering what some of you with acting kids do when they fall during term time? We're a bit stuck as this film is another good one too, she's not speaking but she'll be in a scene with the main actor etc. Does she simply just say to school that she's filming or auditioning or whatever...? It's not like she always misses school, this would be her second job this year and she always does her work, on time, has been revising like mad during these Easter holidays...
eleanorrigby66
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditions during school time

Post by eleanorrigby66 »

surreptitious wrote:Basically my 17 year old has signed up with a new agency this year for acting purposes and she did a 3 day job on a very well-known movie at the end of February, we said she was ill during this time as the experience was too much to say no too (don't judge me lol). Now she was supposed to do another job this week in the holidays, but they've changed it to Tuesday and Wednesday in term time :/ So she's been fitted in the costume and they have her confirmed to do the role. I was just wondering what some of you with acting kids do when they fall during term time? We're a bit stuck as this film is another good one too, she's not speaking but she'll be in a scene with the main actor etc. Does she simply just say to school that she's filming or auditioning or whatever...? It's not like she always misses school, this would be her second job this year and she always does her work, on time, has been revising like mad during these Easter holidays...
You'll find that most professional jobs will clash with school. To take on professional work a youngster usually needs a license from the council, and to successfully obtain one of these the school has to give their approval for the student to take on the job.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

If your ds is 17 she dose not need a licence, also it depends if she is doing As or BETC it's easer with BTEC as every thing is done on line so can do it any where As you have to be at school a lot more. My DS is 17 I talked to his teachers and head of 6th form they where great said as long as he told them what he was done and kept his course work up to date it would be fine. Ds 6th form is a sports and performing arts 6th form they said they had people taking a lot of time to play sport for there county/country so felt they had to do the same for people who wants to do things in performing arts. Talk to to college am sure they will be fine as long as you tell them what is going on good luck
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Is it a credited role she auditioned for?

If it's more of a featured extra role then I wouldn't worry too much if she can't do it. If they've changed the dates from the original engagement then they can't insist she's there. I can understand that she would like to - but schools can and do say no to absences. Sometimes performers just have to wait until they've finished their education before taking on professional work.
Cricksters
Nominee

Post by Cricksters »

It's tricky. I've always tried to be open with the school to keep them quiet :lol: The last request was last year for 3 days on an advert and I spent nearly a week negotiating my son's time off at school. I got there in the end and thankfully his grades were good so there was no argument to be had there but I had to promise that he would do no further acting work during term time for the rest of the school year (only 7 months...) - we didn't pass that on to the agency. Although the agency knows availability and school holiday dates the reality is that most of the time work doesn't stick to those dates so most of the time it's been 'cross that bridge when we get there'. Having said that the school have been brilliant about allowing him time off whenever he's needed it for drama school auditions.