Very long Summer - is it worth looking for work?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Very long Summer - is it worth looking for work?

Post by Katymac »

DD will be off from May until September

Is it worth looking for little bits & pieces of work? Is so where should I be looking? (apart from Screenterrier which someone kindly pointed me in the direction of today) - should I take out a subscription to the stage maybe?

I think she is after experience - maybe a bit of modelling or standing there giving out leaflets or as an extreme maybe extra work? I don't know

She has a pt job later in the summer (I hope) just something else to pad it out I guess
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Very long Summer - is it worth looking for work?

Post by pg »

I wouldn't bother with The Stage (not in terms of job ads anyway ).

I think paid work will be hard to come by - though she could try registering with a few extras agencies and perhaps look for promotions agencies too.

She'd probably need to be with an agent to get modelling jobs - though there might be some via Star now or CCP.

I think concentrating on replenishing funds would be my suggestion - and then getting experience via occasional workshops and going to shows etc.

She could possibly consider volunteering at festivals (or even looking for paid jobs? ) - it's a great way to get to see lots of performances without spending a lot of money.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

She has a pt job later in the summer (I hope)
She's already ahead of you - she's already asked about doing some shows - and I'm happy to have her - dates haven't been confirmed, but I'd always prefer returnees.

I suspect much depends on her 'away' contacts rather than local ones.

I've been subscribing to the stage for years now - 1978! It's very different now, and I'm not sure I like it any more - seems a bit trivial, and the editorial content is very bland. Auditions and job ads seem to cater for older people, or Haven/Warners, with a few cruise ship jobs. Considering some of the very important issues in the business, it does seem to ignore meaty stuff on low pay/poor working conditions and is still rather snobby - with in my view, far too much emphasis on higher arts, and little on the everyday stuff. Quite a few new shows don't seem to get a mention, and the regions are badly represented, but I guess that is pretty normal. I've also noticed the traditional Stage parties for the new shows are getting less, and the photo pages at the end are now of shows of lesser status than before.

reviews are becoming very bland, and often written by new reporters on local papers and then subbed in. There isn't a Stage style any longer. I now skim read it, and am thinking of scrapping my subscription because so many stories are generic and have already been in the daily papers. Obituaries also seem to be quite late and often unbalanced, with presence given to people I don't really know, yet somebody with a well known face and great career history gets half the space of an arts administrator - that kind of stuff.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

You don't have to pay to subscribe to the jobs list with The Stage, so it might be worth it just on that basis, but it does seem to be a great deal of cruise/holiday park entertainers and children's musical theatre (which are widely advertises elsewhere anyway).
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks everyone - as always great advise

She is busy filling in an application from for a much more realistic job (even if it's a bit optimistic)
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would be inclined to suggest just a regular summer job or working as a waitress type work - getting experience for possible in between dance gigs work for the future. This is based on her age as much as anything as she is at that awkward child-adult stage. Next year I suspect she will be able to get promotion work or the odd modelling job or dance gig but all the ones I have seen with my DD are for 18+