Amateur musical theatre- London

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

NiamhMurphy
BRIT Award

Amateur musical theatre- London

Post by NiamhMurphy »

Hiya,
This summer I'm looking to get involved with as much theatre/screen experience as possible, and I'm looking for a good amateur musical theatre company (or suchlike!). Having trawled the internet, I've found some productions but distance and timings (as well as only being 17!) are becoming an issue. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any theatre companies, theatres, or any sort of performing experience I could look into around the London area? I'm particularly keen on practical performing, as I've done work experience with two theatres so far, and preferably nominal fees as I toon part in a production with YMT UK last year which was definitely not cheap, but I'm open to pretty much any suggestion or advice you might have. Thanks a lot!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Amateur musical theatre- London

Post by paulears »

Look on the NODA website to find the details of amateur companies in the area you want and do a few auditions. Their membership fees are usually very modest. Avoid any production that costs you serious money to work on, there is usually a reason for the high fees. In rural parts of the country it's not hard to do amateur shows, in London, I'm amazed you can't find something. Keep in mind that if you want a lead role, competition is fierce, with many good people doing shows for multiple amateur companies, but supporting cast roles aren't that hard.