dissertation topics/ideas

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

alwaystryingmybest
BRIT Award

dissertation topics/ideas

Post by alwaystryingmybest »

As part of the new Advanced Higher Drama (equivilent to A-level) a dissertation now makes up a fair whack of the total grade. I was wondering if anyone could help me pick a topic or suggest plays to research. The dissertation is around 2,500-3,000 words and we have to make reference to both Stanivlasky and Brecht in it. Also we have been told to steer away from musical theatre.
I'm only 4 lessons into the course so far but I want to start researching ASAP. My first idea would be to address what is more important to theatre, the visual art form or the narrative and message behind the dialogue. For that I was thinking of researching and referencing to Our Town by Thornton Wilder (to support the importance of the narrative) and the National's Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (to support the importance of the visual art of theatre).
I also have thought about discussing whether streaming theatre live to cinemas is a good move for the theatre industry, looking at whether it means accessibility for the masses or does it ruin the atmosphere and purpose of live theatre.
Let me know what you think! X
Last edited by alwaystryingmybest on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: dissertation topics/ideas

Post by Katymac »

What about performances for people with additional needs. That fascinates me - the care they take (but it might not be your thing)
alwaystryingmybest
BRIT Award

Post by alwaystryingmybest »

Katymac wrote:What about performances for people with additional needs. That fascinates me - the care they take (but it might not be your thing)
hmm perhaps, I'm not sure how I'd incorporate the practitioners in though :-k
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

I suspect my friends who saw Curious Incident at the cinema saw much more of it than I did up in the gods, where you can rarely see a facial expression and rely on speech and body language. But even with those limitations it was amazing.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Brecht and Stanislavsky? They sure know how to keep it dull, then. Joking (almost) but if this means that it's expected that you are analysing their similarities, differences, and implementation in contemporary theatre, then the much more interesting stuff like televised theatre might be tricky to properly integrate. However, maybe there are some links with Brecht you could go for - I don't suppose the leap to television was envisaged, but it could fit - especially if you look for the ability to focus in on facial expressions, that are not possible in theatre in perpetual long-shot. Trouble is many production don't go in close because to some, this prevents it being viewed 'theatrically' and instead it becomes cinemagraphic and directed?

Personally, I'd hate it as a choice even though I'm very happy with technology - mainly because the examiners will be theatricals not technologists, so you have a choice of being pro, or anti, or attempting to be balanced? Sounds very much like hard work, and maybe something your teachers will be unfamiliar with, so less help available?
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

how about looking at 'modern' Musical interpretations of old stories, such as Lion King/Hamlet, West side Story/Romeo and Juliet, whilst we are on the subject of Shakespeare, hadn't realised they were all Shakespeare until this one popped in to my head! Kiss me Kate/Taming of the Shrew.