Please share your Panto juvenile experiences

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Paddington
Nominee

Please share your Panto juvenile experiences

Post by Paddington »

So I have a child who is planning to audition for panto this autumn (dance school supplies the dancers so has a fair chance I suppose as there won't be as much competition as an open audition).

Some of the other parents from the dance school have told me some of what goes on but I am curious to know what other people's experiences are. If she wants to do it and if she gets in then we will obviously support her and I am happy to chaperone if required so it isn't a case of would I let her, more just general nosiness about what the experience is like for the children.

thanks
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Re: Please share your Panto juvenile experiences

Post by CatKat_0 »

My DS did Peter Pan and absolutely loved it. Pay was rubbish and worse for the girl but he had an amazing time. I've chaperoned a couple of times for other pantos and think they're a great experience - filled with lots of festive fun and laughs.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS did panto before we ever considered allowing him to try for the West End and it was a great way to test out much of the experience. From the first minute of the first audition, he loved it. He was absolutely bereft when the run finished, and that's when we decided to allow him to try for other things. It's a massive commitment - and I must confess I'm really not a panto fan so I only watched twice - but the kids seemed to have a great time and many had done it before. Depending on what the run is like, It's definitely a good test for whether your child loves the whole experience even on the 30th time through, and when they're tired, and when they're having to miss out on other things to be there (worth asking yourself whether you'll be as happy about the commitment too). It's good practice for the discipline of being in a professional show where they're not the star and might have a very small part too, as well as being quiet and well-behaved during all the hanging around backstage.
Paddington
Nominee

Post by Paddington »

thank you Talya and CatKat

I don't think we would then be looking for her to go on and do anything else, she is in it for the dancing rather than the stage aspect if that makes sense. She did a one off panto performance and seemed to enjoy it. I have to say as a parent I suspect I would be downing rescue remedy BUT I can see how it would be hugely beneficial to her to do it if she wants to, confidence, performance skills, just general experience of commitment etc. And I would hope she would love it like you say. Must be lovely to be part of a little team like that, seeing how hard work and dedication pay off with a great show. I can't say I am looking forward to it myself but I do hope she gets in for her sake as she will be disappointed if she doesn't. especially if her sister then does it in the future.

They wouldn't get paid and I have already established sort of "other costs" we would need to factor in such as parking and so on so it is definitely doable but undoubtedly hard work.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi Paddington

My dd is 16 but when she was younger she was in pantos at ages 9,10,11 and 12. When she was 9 she did get very tired, but she loved the experience, and by the following year she was able to cope with the late nights much better. There was a lot of running around, and yes the pay didn't even cover our expenses. However she had such a fabulous time that it didn't matter to us. All our family and friends would get tickets to see her, and she had an absolute ball. The pantos she did had open auditions so she was able to make some lovely friends that she still keeps in touch with. If your dd wants to give it a try, then I would go for it. Good luck! xxx
Paddington
Nominee

Post by Paddington »

thanks Beanie-Bean

It does sound like the children enjoy it but I can imagine late nights, school and dancing all coming together is tiring. My daughter isn't a big sleeper (never has been) so perhaps won't find it TOO bad, her younger sister would find it heavy going even when she is older I am sure because she likes to sleep.