Can you join adult Spotlight without an agent?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

Can you join adult Spotlight without an agent?

Post by Jellybabies »

Hello,

My agent is sadly currently not renewing my Spotlight Young Performers membership it October when renewal is due. I am now old enough to join Adult Spotlight, but I will obviously not have an agent. Is it possible to join Adult Spotlight even though I do not have an agent. If so , when would I do this? Would it be October? thanks!
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: Can you join adult Spotlight without an agent?

Post by Irishdancer »

As you already a Spotlight member you will be able to go into the adult section. It's says entery has to be in by 1st May but that is for the book all CD use Internet now so would not worry about being in the book. You should be able to do it now link to spotlight
http://www.spotlight.com/news/archive/2 ... YcU0op4WnM Hope this helps
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

It is possible to join Spotlight without an agent as an adult but you will only have access to a very limited number of castings as most briefs only go out to agents. Also to join you need either to have trained at an accredited school and/or to have professional credits. The info on membership states:

Do you have experience of paid, professional acting work? (speaking parts).
Please note: as a professional casting database our entry criteria do not include work in Short Films, Commercials, Idents, Corporates, as an Extra / Supporting Artist / Walk-on, or Promotional work.

For full details check out: https://www.spotlight.com/join/eligibility.asp?book=2

Hope this helps!
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

If you have already been a member as a child/young adult which from what you said you where then there will not be any problem, your spotlight page will just be updated to adult and when you find an agent then they will take over. I am sure it's only if you are joining as an adult for the first time that there rules apply.
xebonykissesx
GRAMMY Award

Post by xebonykissesx »

As a young performer I wasn't able to renew as an adult performer without professional credits, and on the phone, like on the website, they told me that commercials and shorts didn't count. Just my experience.
*The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Stand your ground for freedom, beauty, truth, and love.* - Moulin Rouge
Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jellybabies »

Hiya , yes I do have professional experience!

Should I try and join Adult spotlight now, or when I would usually renew it anyway in October? I am represented by my current agent until May 2016 as a Young performer. Thanks !
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

My DD has professional credits (TV when she was five and panto and theatre since then). She didn't get paid very much for panto but it was professional. Also the theatre she did last summer was at the Almeida - she was part of a community chorus and the cast was a mix of very well known professionals and the community chorus who were only paid expenses. We are slightly in limbo with agent. They promised to keep her in Young Performers from May 2015 but I'm not sure if they will keep her next time round. She is applying to Drama schools next term for entry Sept 2016 i.e. she's 17 now.

Guess it would be best to try and keep her spotlight entry valid as long as possible? I know so drama training schools don't allow them to audition for any parts once they are in their 3 year courses? Help please?
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

DD kept her agent and was on Spotlight as a young performer while training at drama school ... the agent was happy only to submit her for opportunities during the long summer holidays; however, that will depend on the agent. Auditioning/working during term time is a no-no for all drama schools and some don't even like you to work during the holidays. Hope this helps!
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

It's harder to get into adult Spotlight than it is Children/Young Performers, and you can't automatically transfer even with an agent. If you haven't trained at an accredited drama school, you need to have professional acting experience and this must be a minimum of four jobs in either theatre, film or television. As Sapphire said, supporting artist, walk-on, commercials, short films, idents, dancer, corporate and promotional work etc doesn't count towards your four qualifying jobs. But if you've got the minimum of four qualifying jobs then you don't need to have an agent, enquiries go c/o Spotlight.