Small keyboards

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Small keyboards

Post by Katymac »

DD sings & can read music; she had the best part of about 6 years piano lessons

She is at college doing Musical Theatre and would like to take her enormous weighted key thing, is it a digital piano? down to college with her - but there is no way she can fit it in her room

Is there anything smaller that is pretty much 'properly in tune' that she can pick out the melody line while she practises her singing?

It needs to be able to use headphones really - but I don't really know what I should even google for as it needs to be better than a toy but not ridiculously expensive
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Small keyboards

Post by TalyaB »

If she only needs it to work out tunes rather than play it 'properly', would an app on an iPad/phone etc. do the job?
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I honestly don't know; I guess I may have to ask her

I was hoping to do the surprise birthday present thing - I bought her all the sheet music for frozen yesterday as her job is almost over as a sort of congratulations/connisserations present & she mentioned how much she missed playing while she was at college & how useful it was when she was learning a song

Thanks for the idea
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Does she have a computer? A MIDI keyboard - perhaps a 61 note rather than 88 note might be good? Much depends on her piano preferences. People who have never played on plastic pianos either love them or hate them. These keyboards would play a synth/recorder on the PC - things like Cubase LE, or maybe if it's just piano - pianoteq samplers. Being able to record and create better quality stuff might be handy. A freestanding plastic piano is less easy to get, quality wise. Some are frankly toys, while others can be pretty good. However - they are all very personal things. My wife bought me a guitar when we'd been married a couple of years. I hated it, and still do.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She has a notebook I think rather than a laptop

(don't say anything to her....or it won't be a surprise!)

She has a Yamaha DGX 300 which she potters on but we also have a very old Casio (I got for my 16th!!) but I don't think she's fussy

I guess something slightly better than a toy but not as good as an instrument

Did you tell your wife?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_psr_e243_b_stock.htm

Something like these?

Re: telling my wife? No - but when she dropped it and made a big chunk in it, I was very understanding ........