YMT V NYMT?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rose20
BRIT Award

YMT V NYMT?

Post by Rose20 »

Hi, I have looked at a thread from 2012 on YMT and NYMT differences but wondered if anyone had more recent experience on their differences and experiences with them? Thanks
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: YMT V NYMT?

Post by oscar »

Nymt have 3 separate shows per year and often have well known choreographers and musical directors from west end shows etc. competition is high . YMT usually have more shoes therefore more spaces available, I believe they also offer film work as well as stage . Again, competition is high but more spaces. They are both highly regarded. I know nymt can be put in a professional cv not sure about YMT
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

When we went to gsa open day NYMT and YMT were mentioned in the same breath at the talk on the Musical Theatre BA when talking about what experience candidates applying might have. Sorry, not sure if that makes sense #-o but they weren't really differentiating between the two in terms of usefulness if you see what I mean.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Both are equally highly regarded, I believe, and both have some very illustrious alumni. My impression (without experience of YMT) is that at NYMT the finished script exists before the kids start their work (whether newly commissioned or not) whereas at YMT the participants have a creative-development role and are guided by professionals to create both script and songs (I heard the professionals steering the process work at night to polish the previous day's material). As DS was only 12, and more interested in the performing side, he went for NYMT. He had a wonderful time and learnt a lot. If he was currently wanting MT he might well have applied to YMT this year, but he's now not dancing at all so he's doing NYT instead.
Last edited by TalyaB on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Thank you for your replies. I watched the live stream of Fagin last night and they are a very talented group!