Musical Theatre backing tracks.

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Musical Theatre backing tracks.

Post by lotsolaffs »

Hi just wondering if any of you use a particular site for Musical Theatre backing tracks?
Many thanks
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: Musical Theatre backing tracks.

Post by Katymac »

We don't really use one as at college she has to sing to a pianist; in fact we have ensured she has access to a keyboard as the tracks on You-tube etc aren't always the same as the sheet music so she needs to learn the actual score

That doesn't help you much tho' sorry :oops:
George'smum
BRIT Award

Post by George'smum »

Karaoke-version is usually fairly good or dotdismus
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

There doesn't seem to be any site that has universally good ones. You need to listen to them and decide. Over the years I've heard some truly dire ones used by quite big names, and I've heard some that make you go wow. It's really a case of Googling and searching, then auditioning. For what it's worth, contemporary instruments are much easier to do than orchestral ones. I still do some for my own use, and have an excellent collection of instruments and equipment, but if the song needs brass, then I usually pass, because I can't play trombone or trumpet, and synthesised or sampled ones really don't cut it. Trouble is, a 3 minute track might take a week to record. People think £50 is a lot of money, so my stuff now is mainly for very specific projects. I buy tracks from others when I need them, unless I really, really like the song and might be able to use it again.

Katymac's problem with needing the piano versions to be the same is very common - most of the decent tracks you buy are arrangements of the original, while the piano versions are different arrangements, done specifically for the average pianist to be able to sight read.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thanks for your help.Some tracks are truly awful I have found https://thesongsofthestage.bandcamp.com/ which seem to have some reasonable ones.It is for my daughter (13) doing part of her Performing Arts BTEC (GSCE) She can play the trumpet but I think she would struggle doing both at the same time... \:D/