Dissertation ideas

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

georgierose2
Nominee

Dissertation ideas

Post by georgierose2 »

Hi I am in final year of Musical Theatre degree course and stuck on dissertation argument. I am thinking along the lines of something to do with children in theatre productions. With the title the commodification of children usef in theatre. Any clever people out there can refine this idea or suggest better ones, I have been employed as child performer including on tour so have a real.interest in the subject, but not academic and have struggled with this part of the course. Thankfully only been a small of it but will spoil my overall grades. Help!!!!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Dissertation ideas

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

It could be interesting to look into the impact either commercially or physically/emotionally on the different child licensing laws in the UK and USA?
What the parameters of your dissertation meant to be?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Normally, I sign with dissertation subjects - often real rubbish. I've never really thought about the kids being commodities that can be bought and sold, but on reflection, perhaps they actually are? You could be onto something, IF, you stand a chance of collecting enough reliable and robust evidence - which might be tricky if you have few contacts. There are quite a few well know shows that rely on kids in the public eye, but I don;t know the names of any of them - including the shows where the child role is critical. When they get too tall, or too old, they get replaced with another that fits the profile?

Maybe this could be a runner?
georgierose2
Nominee

Post by georgierose2 »

I am.changing idea slightly and researching the changing role in theatre of children in theatre. For example in Victorian Theatre children were used as more of an exhibit today more essential for the constructed narrative of some shows.