Singing teacher recommendations (London)

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Singing teacher recommendations (London)

Post by FredaBloggs »

I'm looking for a singing teacher for DS (9), who has a good voice but needs help with vocal technique (before I tear my hair out trying to help him prepare for too many more auditions!).

He already sings in his school choir (which is quite a high standard) so am not looking for group singing classes, but would like to find a teacher for individual lessons. He had a trial lesson with the school's singing teacher, but really didn't click with her so refused to continue. I suspect he would do better with a male teacher, and someone with more of a musical theatre focus.

We are in northeast London so would prefer a teacher localish to us or in central London. I've looked on MusicTeachers.co.uk but would prefer not to use the trial-and-error approach, especially as he's already baulked at one teacher. I'd be very grateful for any recommendations anyone has!
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Re: Singing teacher recommendations (London)

Post by lollypop »

I can give you one to avoid at all costs - Samuel - he took my money for a block of private lessons then presented a series of excuses why he couldn't make the sessions (he had a cold, he had hay fever) - then refused to reschedule them. PM me if you need more info
daisyjane
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisyjane »

Have you tried going into your local music shop? That's how I found my DD's singing teacher! I saw her advert on the shop board and just chanced to ask the music shop owner if he knew anything about her and he gave me very detailed information , which gave me the confidence to book a trial lesson. It was only afterwards that I thought about it and realised that he probably knows just about all the local musicians and would be a good source for further enquiries!
daisyjane
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisyjane »

The other option is to contact your nearest youth music trust, if you have one. DD's singing teacher does a mix of private tuition, school choirs, peripatetic individual lessons and working for the trust; you can at least guarantee that anyone working for such a body has a DBS and is working within organisational guidelines. Even if you have private singing lessons, the trust would be a place you could refer back to if you have concerns about the teacher. A final thought is to contact local secondary schools that employ peripatetic singing teachers - speak to the head of music at the school and ask for a recommendation. Take a moment to reflect on your child's character and singing ambitions (exams? MT? pop? classical?) and try to ensure you end up with a teacher who is a good match for your child.

Hope that helps!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Thanks to both for your replies.

lollypop, I haven't come across anyone of that name in my search but will remember it!

daisyjane, great suggestions, thank you!
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Am sure there are many many fabulous Samuels teaching singing (so don't avoid them all!), but if you (or anyone else) do come across one in east london do PM me and I will let you know if it's the same one!