weekends over shooting period?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

weekends over shooting period?

Post by Jellybabies »

Hello,
JUst wondering if anyone know the answer to something I have always wondered! If you are shooting a project such as a TV show thats is filming over several months, do you work 7 days a week? or would you get one day off a week for example? obviously I know you would not be needed for filming every day, but does the whole cast and crew get a day off together? thanks !
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: weekends over shooting period?

Post by pg »

I think the answer is that there will usually be a day off. I'm guessing that there would be occasions where one might have to work on the "rest day" because of unusual circumstances.

It would depend what was in individual contracts.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

The contract is always the key - and not everyone has the same contractual terms. Cast and crew are frequently offset from each other. Production days will be planned to maximise the output, and minimise expense. So it's common to do strikes and builds over the weekends, releasing the actors. The crew often don't get extra hours, but union negotiated hours between calls, and they simply add in extra people to cover the gaps.

When the actors have to work peculiar hours, these are always negotiated and detailed in the contracts. The worst for cast and crew examples I can remember working on were special sections that needed to be shot at night, and those are horrible in winter. A call might be from say 4 or 5pm, and then everyone gets released at perhaps the early hours of the morning. 7 day working is always very expensive, so they plan to minimise it as much as they can. I also suspect the performers all get the better deal here.
Jellybabies
GRAMMY Award

Post by Jellybabies »

thank you!!