Student Film on KCCP

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

raw604
Nominee

Student Film on KCCP

Post by raw604 »

My DD was contacted by a company for a short student film. DD was interested so we replied asking for further details of location, script etc. The response was happy to have my DD, btw no casting but will come to my home to film as easier all round as they had been let down with location. Well, alarm bells started ringing is this above board. Obviously our answer to that is No. All seemed a bit strange but I am still receiving messages saying they would like to meet up. All knew to this, am I being over protective.? I don't know whether to report or ignore them in the hope they will get the message. I feel for my DD as would have loved to have been involved but is not that desperate for exposure.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Student Film on KCCP

Post by pg »

You are quite right to be cautious - but it is possible that this is genuine. It's an odd way to go about it, but they may not realise that.

You can either say you are not interested and ask them not to contact you again (which would be simpler/more clear-cut than hoping that they'll take the hint from a lack of reply) OR you can ask to find out more about the company if you want to investigate further.

It is very, very common for student films to use friends'/family's houses for filming so it's possible that the student film maker thinks this is just an extension of that and thinks they're making an offer which might even be easier for you. Sometimes locations change at the last minute.

If you don't want to have the filming going on in your house, then you just tell them it's not possible. All "domestic" subject films take place in someone's house though :) - for student films, it's usually the long-suffering parents of one of the filmmakers!

If I were in your shoes I'd
a) ask which University and course it is
b) ask for a copy of the script to see whether it's something you feel would be good experience/good showreel material
c) ask them a bit more about their own set up (what year they're in, size of crew etc)

If all of that pans out you could then have a chat to them on the phone and iron out any further concerns.
From what you've said, it sounds as though they want your agreement without answering your questions first - which is of course not on at all. You need them to answer your concerns/questions first .

Student film makers are learning - and some of them are brilliant: organised, polite, thorough, professional. Some of them though are a bit naive and occasionally thoughtless. They get so excited about their film that they forget that not everyone looks at if from the same perspective.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I got the warning bell at "contacted by a company for a short student film". Students often create totally fictitious companies to bolster the status of a production, and give themselves fancy titles - so, you might have been contacted by a production company, who's director or production manager is yet another student, perhaps even 'being' the production company for another element of the unit.

They could be extremely keen. They could be amazingly good at what they do. They won't have any money. They may be totally clueless. If you are there when they are in your home, this could be a very good learning opportunity for you and your daughter - seeing how good/bad/professional/hopeless they are, and this could come in handy in the future.

As everyone has said - get more information. Keep us updated.
raw604
Nominee

Post by raw604 »

Thank you for your helpful comments. Message does say they are from a university. They asked us to reconsider using my DD's bedroom since they won't have time to decorate another. Not sure if it is them who are desperate and are looking for a convenient location regardless of talent. When I said it wasn't an option I made sure I was very polite and thanked them for consideration and wished them good luck with Film. I assumed that would be it,then received message saying happy to meet and let them know post code etc when it's convenient.

In email they were very honest saying their English was poor so maybe I've misunderstood them. It's very confusing but would never forgive myself if I let them in my home and it was dodgy.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

That's enough. You politely declined to let strangers into your home. They have a poor command of English, and perhaps didn't understand the brushoff.

However - if they are students, they MUST have a supervisor, and this person should have had the same warning bells. I'd hope they were just naive but surely any person expecting to get into a strangers bedroom should understand how much work needs to be done to convince the parties it's all above board.

On second thoughts, maybe they're just stupid.

Now the dodgy bit. I think I would also contact the college/university, because how they are doing this is not on - and will reflect badly on the institution. In this day and age what they want is simply ridiculous, and I'm sure the uni would want to know. How bad would you feel if in six months time it's in the papers. You do need to make the approach known to the university or college, just to protect other people not so on the ball as you.
raw604
Nominee

Post by raw604 »

I will contact the Uni first thing on Monday morning. I should have gone with my gut instinct but with being new to this I thought I would see if anyone has had similar experiences. They maybe genuine and it's just down to lack of communication. (I hope) I wouldn't want anyone to be in a vulnerable situation when I could do something about it. Don't want to think the worst but all sounds too intrusive. Let you know the outcome. Thanks.
raw604
Nominee

Post by raw604 »

Update on Student film.

I took everyone's advice and contacted the university. I am pleased to say and also very relieved that it is genuine. I have spoke to the lecturer who has reassured me that it is definitely down to lack of communication from a student who is not English. After all the recent scams I had to make sure to protect my children or anyone else's. I can sleep at night now. Phew.!!! :-)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Thanks for the update.

Glad you can relax now :)
Mamadetres
GRAMMY Award

Post by Mamadetres »

There is one job at the moment on kccp where international licences as filming in France are required but it is all vague as to how they will do this!