Commercial License, 16 year old?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

aspiringactor
BRIT Award

Commercial License, 16 year old?

Post by aspiringactor »

Hi guys.

If you are 16 years of age and are to film a paid commercial, would the company still need to put in a license application for you? I've been penciled for a commercial which is shooting when I get back to sixth form. So I am just wondering whether I still need a license. The casting company hasn't mentioned it much but I'm under the impression that when you are past school leaving age all this licensing business stops?

Is it my responsibility to apply for the license if I need one? My council said you need at least 21 days before the start of the performance but the performance is next week.

I hope it turns out that i don't need one as I don't want to lose the job if I get it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Commercial License, 16 year old?

Post by 2girlsmum »

Hi

My understanding is that if you were a Yr 11 student last year, ie so turned 16 before today, from the 24th June 2016 (which all councils have as the official Yr 11 leaving date) you are treated as an adult (for performing licence purposes) and from then onwards do not need a performance licence (whether you were 16 before the 24th June or not until 1st Sept doesn't matter so technically a person with a birthday yesterday, 31st Aug, didn't need a licence from 25th June even though they were only 15. It's all about school year rather than actual 16th birthday).

I hope that helps.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Yes I agree with that 2girlsmum, that's how it worked for 2 of mine, no licence needed if going into year 12 or above, we did still have to have it OK'ed by school though, good luck!
aspiringactor
BRIT Award

Post by aspiringactor »

Fantastic, all makes sense now! Thanks guys.