Is a DaDA only for dance? Any info re Tring scholarships?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Is a DaDA only for dance? Any info re Tring scholarships?

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi all, suspect this may have been covered before but I've had a search and can't see the answer. Looking at Tring 6th form for DS but £11k per term is out of the question for us. Thought he might get a DaDA as we are very low income but when I've printed the application form it says DaDA is for the dance course only and he wants to do acting. Is this right do you think - thought they were dance and drama awards? He could apply for a school scholarship but they give no info on how many/how much these are so might be pie-in-the-sky for all I know. Any info gratefully received.
woody
BRIT Award

Re: Is a DaDA only for dance? Any info re Tring scholarships?

Post by woody »

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the school direct and ask?
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Think there are a number of scholarships for the sixth form at Tring. This year most of them went to boys entering the school and not to existing pupils moving into the sixth form. There are more scholarships available at sixth form I think. Think they vary in value but have no idea what they are. In dd's year (just done GCSE's) there were a few with scholarships. Best bet is to ring and have a chat with them.
All new to me!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

You are correct in that they are Dance and Drama Awards but they are also only applicable for certain level Trinity Diplomas - they are course and school/college specific. I have no knowledge of Tring but at Hammond, for instance you can get a DADA for the 3 year level 6 courses in dance or musical theatre but their Acting course is 2 years and a btec. You would need to check with Tring exactly what qualification the acting course is offering.

https://www.gov.uk/dance-drama-awards

The link above tells you more about DADA and which places offer DADA awards and you can see that some are for drama colleges.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

:shock: £11K PER TERM!!! :shock: Who can afford that except top bankers and royalty?
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Francescasmum - I know! At first I read 11k per year and thought blimey that's a lot but perhaps .. with help from grandparents etc. Then I read again. As DH has just handed in his notice at work and decided to take early retirement we won't even earn 11k per year ;)

But.. other places are even more - I believe Hurtwood is £15 or £16 per term!

DS is keen though and we're off to the open day next week. After all.. someone has to get the scholarship [-o< :lol:
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Hurtwood is THE most expensive school I think!! We got their prospectus - the only school that produce a "hardback" prospectus I have ever come across!! Think it is about £1000 just to register. Then the deposit they keep for their funds unless you actually ask for it back at the end!! At Tring there are a lot of kids with funding of some sort so I think they probably have bursaries available. Nothing to lose by asking them.
All new to me!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter is currently at Hammond Lower School & has been reccomended to apply for Tring 6th form but for MT rather than dance.

At Tring only the dance course is a Level 6 Trinity Diploma, the music & MT courses etc are two year Level 3 courses so sadly there is no funding.

Dd would need a substantial scholarship to go of more than 50% (Tring's fees are much more expensive than Hammond) I just can't see that level being offered.

Hammonds Btec drama course is excellent & although there are no Dadas for that one either they do have some school scholarships.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

There's a thread on the Training board about LIPA's sixth form. It's new this year and it's free, but unless you are within commuting distance it would mean paying for accommodation for him.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

LIPA thread also started by me :D :D

A very serious contender - we would have to move/rent in Liverpool but could still be cheaper than Hammond - certainly cheaper than Tring! They only offer the BTEC extended (= 3 A levels). DS quite fancies doing a couple of academic subjects as well which are offered at Hammond & Tring.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Depending whereabouts in the country you are - and tring, Hammond, lipa is quite a wide area - you could also have a look at BOA. Birmingham Ormiston Academy. They also offer the btec and you can do some A levels. It is also free for sixth form. BOA does have a catchment are - but it is large and they offer a certain percentage to out of catchment.