Commercial conflict.

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

aspiringactor
BRIT Award

Commercial conflict.

Post by aspiringactor »

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if any companies excuse commercial conflict?

I shot an ad for a leading supermarket brand, but I have a casting for another one very soon. Will shooting an advert for the first brand take me completely out of the running for the upcoming casting?

I know when filling in the form at commercial castings there's always a section where you name any work you've done which may cause conflict, but surely CD's should state whether conflicting work will be an issue or not in the brief before calling people in?? It would save a lot of time and money.
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Commercial conflict.

Post by pg »

It's impossible to know for certain and there are too many variables for them to make blanket statements really.

In all probability, it will mean you're out of the running BUT there could be times when you're not.

It depends how recognisable you were, for one thing. It also depends on the subject of the commercial.

If the client absolutely loves you, perhaps they would still choose to use you.

Mostly, however, they'll avoid using the same actor. You could mention it to your agent and see whether they'd be willing to check..

That's why it's so vital to get properly paid for the ones you do: they can count you out of lucrative future work :(
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

I would think your agent should have thought about this before putting you forward so might be worth asking them? They might be reassuring?

Some contracts are very specific about you not taking part in ads that are in same territory or for same products - I've seen this on a supermarket ad contract before.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Yes it depends if you are featured in the advert if you where then the other company prob won't want to use you. Talk to your agent and get them to ask saves you going up for a casting to London. My DS did a car advert then agent wanted him to go for an advert for car tyres they talked to CD and where told the tyre company did not want to use him, so best to find out first.
aspiringactor
BRIT Award

Post by aspiringactor »

Thank you guys! Will talk to agent.