Doctor's letter

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Doctor's letter

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Please can someone help.

I have been told that my ds has been picked for a part in a feature film and I need a GP letter as the filming is abroad.
Three weeks ago I wrote to the medical secretary at our GP surgery and asked for a letter, saying he was fit and healthy to take part. When I went to pick up the 'letter' from the surgery, I was dismayed to find a printed list of his minor ailments! I have been told by the Practice Manager that she can't get anyone to sign a letter as this isn't NHS work and she says this list should be fine to prove he's fit and healthy.

There are only two doctors at this practice, the rest being locums. I have been told that locums do not deal with paperwork. The practice manager will not pp anything as she says she is not medically qualified.

Right from the start, I was informed that because they are so short staffed anything 'non medical' ie I suppose 'non NHS' gets put to the bottom of the pile. However, this hasn't just been put to the bottom of the pile, they are literally saying they don't need to do a letter and a print out of his minor ailments will suffice. I have already paid for this 'letter' and now I am at a loss as to what to do ](*,)
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: Doctors letter

Post by mouskouri41 »

Well for a start I might be asking for my money back!Seriously though..could your agent not draught a standard letter that just requires a signature?Surely this would then literally only take the GP a few seconds in between patients !?

Congratulations btw!
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Doctors letter

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Thanks mouskouri41, he was over the moon!

I shall try that tomorrow. Originally, I enclosed a template of the sort of letter I needed from them. I am concerned that they will just stick it under the pile of 'non NHS' things to do!
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: Doctor's letter

Post by mouskouri41 »

If you have time you could always wait in the surgery and not budge !
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

My surgery charge £30 for a letter - and for that £30 you get exactly that - a letter written specifically to cover your particular need.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

[-o< Their argument is they are short staffed and it is not NHS. I've printed off a form which only needs a signature and stamp. Fingers crossed
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Oh that seems so unfair! My ds is also filming a FF abroad this month and my GP just signed it straight away and charged me £15, it was classed as a "fit to work" letter. Hope you get it sorted, when is he due to travel?
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

We recently had 3/4 days to get one of these, our surgery said because my son hadn't been seen by a doctor for over 6 months (because he's fit and well) he would need to go in and have a mini medical. She then went on to tell me that because it was being done 'privately' and not on the NHS we would have to wait at lease a month for an appointment! I'm sure she was having a little laugh to herself as she told me that! In the end after asking around it became apparent that most private doctors and some hospitals can do this for you in a 10 minute appointment. We went ahead and booked an appointment at a local private hospital for the next day based on the fact that the production company would pay for it. Bad news - it cost £70. Good news - at least the production company paid for it. Terrible news - the commercial was pulled at the last minute!!! ](*,)
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Can you book a routine appt for yourself or your ds or other family member ,and take the letter in with you ?They would be very hard hearted to say no!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

We changed doctors over hassle with these letters. We explained the situation and went with a surgery that said they'd do a letter whenever required in in 48 hours for £15.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

I haven't been given all the details yet but have been advised to get the letter asap. I think I'll have a look on their website and see what it says about a 'fit to work' letter. It sounds better than me saying ds needs it to prove that he's fit to travel.

I've asked a doctor to sign a letter in the past during an appointment and bless her, she did it straightaway, but she's left now. I've been trying to go through the official channels and keep very calm and reasonable, but feel I'm been fobbed off. I get the impression that the staff are too scared to press the doctors left!

I will have to look at taking ds privately to get it done if they still refuse after tomorrow, but since these letters only last six months, it could get very expensive. I might look at moving to a more helpful health centre but suspect that in our area, it may be difficult.

Thank you for your replies. It helps to read other people's experiences and points of view. It's beginning to feel like it's another postcode lottery, similar to licences. :roll:
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

mouskouri41 wrote:If you have time you could always wait in the surgery and not budge !
I have used this ploy to avoid a fee - just typed my own letter with basic, 'E' enjoys general good health and does not have any restrictions that prevent her from participating in the role requiring authorisation of her general medical fitness.

Hope this helps!

Saves your GP time and you money x though I appreciate some surgeries are not as accommodating as ours.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

I took a 'certificate of health' form, in this morning which just required a doctor's signature and practice stamp. Shortly afterwards, I received his medical notes in the post, along with a letter informing me that 'due to the shortage of GP's at the surgery we do not complete forms which are not in the NHS contract'.

When I went back in after lunch, the practice manager informed me that neither of the doctor's would sign the form I had left and told me that I would have to get it done privately. When I asked for my money back, she told me that it was for the medical notes (not asked for). I argued and said I had not asked for his medical notes but for a doctor's signature on a letter. She gave me back my money.

I have enquired at another practice and been told they would sign the form if I register my ds with him. It will take about a week to transfer across. I am going to take this course of action as I can see there being problems six months down the line if I need another form signed but I think it is utterly ridiculous that I am having to do this! I could get a private practice to sign the form but I can see that it would be very costly.

Feeling very {evil}
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

From all the time that the receptionist took talking to you and the GP's and saying that was non NHS work, it would of been quicker for one of them to just sign the letter. Some people can be very Infuriating can't they.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Apparently, the doctor would have had to have gone through his medical records to check ds was healthy (he is). That is what he was not prepared to do, so instead it generated so much more work for everybody else. If the practice manager had pp'd the letter (as she has done before) or allowed one of her nurses to do this (she wouldn't), then it would be done and dusted. The receptionist at the desk just looked embarrassed and hinted that she couldn't say more. She gave me the distinct impression that she agreed with me and thought the practice manager was being unhelpful.

My overriding thought throughout all this is, when it's absolutely necessary to get a medical letter for a child to prove they are fit for work, why should anyone be forced to a) move to another practice or b) pay for a private medical check up?

I understand they are short staffed, but having to wait for a letter is one thing, refusing to sign one is another thing entirely. Particularly, since as lindahill pointed out, more work has been generated in the long run.