Ideas needed for audition song

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Frazzledmumofteens
Nominee

Ideas needed for audition song

Post by Frazzledmumofteens »

I wondered if anyone could help, my eldest DC has applied to university to do an acting degree. Auditions have started coming through and he's busily working on his monologues however, one of the auditions also requires him to sing a short song...he's tone deaf! He really is flatter than a pancake when he sings so obviously this is a bit of a problem. Could anyone suggest a song maybe from a musical that isn't too technical, maybe something comical where his performance will detract from the singing, any suggestions would be gratefully received as he's really starting to panic.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Re: Ideas needed for audition song

Post by mrs_lovett »

Mr cellophane from Chicago? Not too technical- definitely one you could speak sing if he really struggles plus he could really act it which is probably what they most care about. Possibly too well known though I'm not sure it's really overdone.
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

Probably a silly suggestion but what about all I know I learned from Telly from Matilda. Definitely a speaking type of singing and great fun to act
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Or he could do a Rex Harrison and 'sing'/speak one of the numbers from My Fair Lady eg Why can't a Woman be more like a Man?
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

I know this may sound crazy but what about "Bare Necessities"? Had a student some years back who sang this (he was a non singer), it brought the house down and he got a place at Central. Not saying that's what won it for him but it obviously didn't hurt!
Frazzledmumofteens
Nominee

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, he's feeling a bit better knowing there are options. If he does really well in his group workshop and with his monologues does it really matter if his singing is a bit off? I don't quite understand we they want to hear him sing when he's applying for a straight acting degree...this is all new to me lol!
Frazzledmumofteens
Nominee

Just wanted to give you a quick update DS had his first audition for an acting degree today, he sang Mr Cellophane (thanks so much for the suggestion) and they offered him a place! Thanks so much again, one down four to go!
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Fab- glad it did the trick! Best of luck with all the others :)