Taking your own headshots?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

rhubarb
Nominee

Taking your own headshots?

Post by rhubarb »

I had headshots taken by a professional photographer about 2 years ago and want to update them eventually but for the time being (temporarily), does anyone reckon it'd be acceptable to take my own photos to use on Spotlight/agency etc.?

I know Spotlight ask you to credit the photographer so what would I do in this instance? Has anyone taken their own and just put their own name/family member/friend who took the photo or would Spotlight not accept that? I have a fairly decent camera, tripod, lighting and plain backdrop etc.

Thanks in advance :)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Taking your own headshots?

Post by paulears »

If you can produce the kind of quality photographs that other people use, the Spotlight won't care who took them - but presumably you will have somebody actually taking them as unless you have eyes on stalks and very long arms, you can't be in them and take them - so credit whoever does actually take them.
rhubarb
Nominee

Post by rhubarb »

Haha! Eyes on stalks would certainly make for some interesting headshots :lol: There is a self-timer setting and front viewfinder but will probs get someone else to take the photos so it wouldn't look too weird with my own name in the photo credits. Thanks for your help
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

If you have an agent ask them is it ok as some agents can be very fussy about head shots, headshot is the first thing that CD see so they need to be good or else you might not get seen for some parts that having a pro head shot. If you want to get cheap photos done The Passport Shop in west end are good for price
http://www.passportphoto.co.uk
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

There's no harm in trying your own shots (I've seen some excellent ones - and some very poor ones) but get an honest,knowledgeable opinion about the result.

Great headshots are hard to achieve and they're not something to skimp on. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression :)

A less than professional looking headshot will make CDs put you in the "less than professional" bracket. I'd put someone else's name as photographer if you do opt to "do it yourself " - so as not to draw attention to the fact that that's what you've done ;)