daughter wants to act any advice

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

ballemum
Nominee

daughter wants to act any advice

Post by ballemum »

Hi all,
Sorry if this is on the wrong section. My daughter is 17 and has danced since 3 and been part of a theatre company and theatre since 7.
She wants to get into acting professionally as everything she has done although good was on an amateur level.

Is there any suggestions of agencies to go to or help and advice on what to do as i know she is at an awkward age as she will be 18 in October.

Thank you in advance for any help
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: daughter wants to act any advice

Post by jennifer1972 »

Is she considering professional training?
ballemum
Nominee

Post by ballemum »

Hi she is doing As levels at the moment she was going to audition and thought she would get A levels first and audition at 18. She is now regretting the decision and wants try and do something now rather than just wait for 2yrs.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I think she'll need to attend some drama classes as most Agents want to see and 'interview' the prospective clients - they'll even possibly ask her to act in front of them. Don't go with an agent that offers to take your DD without ever meeting her.Good Luck x
ballemum
Nominee

Post by ballemum »

Hi so today she went for a meeting with imperium agency who have said they would like to represent her. Can i ask what is normal for them to ask for ie:percentages and anything upfront. Not ure if i can post things like that on here so dont want to do the wrong thing

Also has anyone had any experience with them
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Most agents will take approx 15-25% for their fees on any jobs she books. There should only be an up front fee for any headshots and spotlight profile entry. You shouldn't be asked for anything else.
ballemum
Nominee

Post by ballemum »

Hi thank you yes there is a fee for headshots and spotlight. She said the fees for film or tv work would be 27-33 %. Is that too high ?
Mamadetres
GRAMMY Award

Post by Mamadetres »

That is a very high percentage
ballemum
Nominee

Post by ballemum »

They also say there is no fixed contract so she can leave whenever she wants.
Where else would be a good place to try
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

You need to think this through - there are huge numbers of acting graduates who can not only act, but understand how to act. Of course some people just walk into parts often based on appearance and learn on the job - you se quite a few on soaps nowadays, where they are not acting at all, but simply being themselves with other people's words!

Any agency who takes somebody on as an actor when their only attribute is a desire to do it, cannot be very serious. It does sound like a money making scheme rather than a proper agency.

Career wise, it's oversaturated, and I find it very sad to see some of my panto cast now back to working in shops, or front of house selling tickets rather than being on stage.

She was a keen amateur - that's good. What lead roles has she had to bolster her CV? I guess what I'm hovering around the edges is a simple question. How good an actress is she, and how much better could she be if she spent three years training once she is 18. Frankly, looking back - I'd stay with 3 A Levels as a security qualification - because without something solid, if the dream collapses (as sadly they do all the time) she is seriously disadvantaged.

If she is amazingly talented maybe it's worth the risk - but she will be up against people trained in all kinds of theatre, and I've seen many disappointed people. Good luck.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

If she can find it in herself to do so, finish the A levels . Unlike dance schools , drama / musical theatre schools are usually 18+ and some are degree level so worth having. You would not believe how much training they get , sometimes over 12 hours a day. Over 3 years this has to make a huge difference and students are showcased to try and get them the best agents possible . Keep up classes and amateur productions, get some private lessons and maybe try for a really good theatre experience eg NYMT , YMT. These can be added to CV whereas other amateur productions usually don't get included. Good luck with your decision .
ballemum
Nominee

Post by ballemum »

Thank you for your answers. She has been part of a theatre group for many years. She got an a*in her gcse for her drama performance alone and was told she should is very good from many people and to pursue it while doing her a levels. She wants to try to gain audition and actual experiemce while doing a levels before she wither auditioms for schools or does a degree at 18