NYMT Holiday Workshop for inexperienced 12 yr old?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Noo72
Nominee

NYMT Holiday Workshop for inexperienced 12 yr old?

Post by Noo72 »

Hi. To give some background, I have a 12 year old daughter who has been consistently saying that she wants a career in the performing arts for the last couple of years. She has bags of confidence (not in a cocky way, just that nothing fazes her!). She has just done her first LAMDA exam and has resumed ballet (just started grade 3 after doing none at all since she was 7/8 years old). She goes to a very low key musical theatre group, but is trying out for somewhere with a better reputation at the weekend.

I am fully aware that many children her age with similar ambitions have been dancing/ acting/ performing for years and doing various auditions and could be very polished performers. My dd, on the other hand, would stand a good chance of getting a main part in the school play, but that is as far as it goes!

Would I be naive to send her to the NYMT Easter residential workshop? As I say, she is rarely fazed by anything but I wouldn't want her to stand out and feel /look like a fish out of water. Does anyone know if there is a range of experience levels at these workshops?

Any advice really appreciated!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: NYMT Holiday Workshop for inexperienced 12 yr old?

Post by missmoneypenny »

That exact course was one of the first that my daughter did at 12/13 :) It was pretty life changing! She had been acting for a few years but really knew she wanted to do MT. She is now almost 18 and at a MT 6th form and doing great, with every intention of moving on to a BA - so I would say if she has the passion then give it a go. It was a fab course x
Noo72
Nominee

Post by Noo72 »

Thank you miss money penny! That is really encouraging to hear. Well done to your DD! Any thoughts on the likely range of experience?
Noo72
Nominee

Post by Noo72 »

Anyone else with any opinions, please, before I go ahead and book? Forgive my persistence!