Fidgeting!

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Fidgeting!

Post by Pandora II »

Does anyone have any methods for curing children of fidgeting (playing with hair, scratching nose, can't decide where to put their hands etc) or swaying while they sing.

Last audition I tied DD's hair in a pony-tail and gave her an inch or so of ribbon to hold to stop her from doing it - and she said it really helped and reminded her to stand still as well.

I don't want it to end up as something she then has complete trauma over if she hasn't got said bit of ribbon, and while you can get away with it when you are 7, it's not ideal. She's a pretty confident child and she's just as bad when practicing so I don't think it's nerves.

Anyone else had the same problem and found solutions - or is it just a case of constantly reminding them?
Last edited by Pandora II on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Fidgeting!

Post by esmum »

So young, and so what you would normally expect I think? I do remember, at a 2 day workshop, Jo Hawes talking about nerves and how to use this natural feeling positively in performance. Her 2 day workshop was great, for parents too. Jo held a session telling parents about the casting process, was very interesting. Dd is 14 now - what I can confirm, is that they certainly move less as they get older! Ooh, just re read your post and saw you don't think it is nerves? Hopefully will just stop in time then.
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

Thank you for that info - v useful and good to know that Jo Hawes is sympathetic to the whole nerves thing, as it may just come across as that!

If it was definitely nerves for DD it might be easier to solve, but I think it's more that she is one of these kids that have to be touching something or fiddling with something. Hopefully it will get better with age!
Missella88
Nominee

Post by Missella88 »

Dare I say it but the new craze of fidget spinners currently sweeping across school playgrounds nationwide might be able to assist. The general size fits within the palm but while out yesterday we came across miniature versions for £2.50 which might be ideal for your daughter to hold and use while standing or sitting still.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

DD says that her singing teacher tells the class that the way to stop swaying when singing is to stand with your legs shoulder width apart. Follow the line down if your DD isn't sure what this means and then also bend your legs slightly, not so much as you stoop. Have a practise at home. Can't help you with hand fidgeting though. I make DD have her hair tied back so she can't hair fiddle, but that's no good if yours fidgets with something else instead.
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Hiya, I have a 9y old DS who suffers from this and yes we went on a Jo Hawes course, which was amazing, but at the end they really do stress that fidgeting, easily distracted, not paying attention are deal breakers however good the talent - we are trying to work on some zen/mindfulness exercises. It is frustrating because the fact is he really wants to do the theatre thing, but excitement gets the better of him.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

At a recent drama festival the adjudicator asked someone to stop using a fidget cube as it was distracting.
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

Thank you all so much for the ideas and comments. Hopefully it's something she'll grow out of or at least manage to not do it when it counts. She came home with some things from school that are designed to stop fiddling so I imagine she does it all the time there too... poor teachers.

I've shown her the feet shoulder width apart thing and that is helping with the swaying... one down :D