Passing the time

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

katiealfie
BRIT Award

Passing the time

Post by katiealfie »

My very lucky DS has been in a theatre play in the West End for just over a year now (thank goodness for no growth spurts). This means a lot of waiting around between drop off and pick up and I feel I have exhausted all the local cafes/coffee shops. I was wondering if any NAPM parents who have been in the same position have got any hidden gems of coffee shops or ideas of things to do to pass the time? I love exploring and wandering in the summer but its not so much fun when the weather changes and I would be grateful for any suggestions of things to do. :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Passing the time

Post by islandofsodor »

Sorry can't help but have memories of killing time in Stockport several years ago (we lived in Stoke so too far to travel back home).
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I used to sit and read or work (or doze off) in the basement at the Curzon cinema on Shaftestbury Avenue, with its very comfy sofas - it's busy early on, but never seems to be later on. I saw a lot of films at the Prince Charles, as it's cheap, especially if you become a member, which only cost £10/year. The Westminster Reference Library was good, but only in the daytime. Lots of free or cheap stuff to see at the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery too. I'm sure you've sussed out which Starbucks/Pret etc. are open late enough.
Shabby
BRIT Award

Post by Shabby »

If you like exploring google "London for free" gives you loads of interesting options, London Museum, British Museum, Docklands Museum are all free, plus the more popular ones. Brick Lane, Camden Market are great for browsing. I have a English Heritage pass and love wondering round the gardens. Get a bus to Hampstead Heath, it's fantastic for walks. For shopping Westfield at Stratford or SB is better than Oxford Street. DLR isn't far if you want to go to Canary Wharf or Victoria Docks!
In the evenings it's trickier! Get a last minuted ticket for a show or save the coffee shops for then!
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

I don't know how sporty you are but the Oasis (Holborn /Endell st )has heated outdoor (and indoor )pool and is very reasonable!
katiealfie
BRIT Award

Post by katiealfie »

Thank you for all the replies, I will definitely trying out some new places and things from the suggestions. It s definitely the evenings that are harder to fill and thats when I tend to read and find coffee shops. On the plus side before long i will be able to start the dreaded christmas shopping :shock:
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

If you use social media then Skint London are on facebook and twitter and they are very good for seeing what free things are going on (including events, free tastings/samples etc)
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

There should be a thread for parents of performing children so that you can get to know who's likely to be hanging around in the West End at the same time as you so you can hook up and have cups of tea!!
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Excellent suggestion, biscuitsneeded. In DS's current show he isn't part of a large team of children, and I do miss having a group of other parents to hang out with on show evenings (means I have to be responsible and go back to my office and work rather than sit around gossiping over coffee!).
zodlebud
BRIT Award

Post by zodlebud »

Not West End but I joined a gym and went every evening she was on stage. I got super fit!! I joined a Nuffield Health gym which has one month rolling contracts so no long term commitments.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Nothing of value to add I'm afraid, just wanted to say I love this thread, not just for killing time but also for ideas. :)
katiealfie
BRIT Award

Post by katiealfie »

Thanks again everyone, some great ideas and hopefully other parents can make use of them as well. Im going to go into the Oasis gym this week and see about swimming, I find using the gym a bit imtimidating but love swimming so that could be a good way to pass time. I have already started checking out the other ideas posted as well so looking forward to trying new places and things. Like you Fredabloggs my DS isn't part of a large team and they all finish at different times so the parents don't tend to see much of each other which is a shame.