Help RE:School being difficult

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Cyrenna10
BRIT Award

Help RE:School being difficult

Post by Cyrenna10 »

Hi everyone!

I'm new to all this but hoping someone can help.
My daughter signed to an agency in the summer. Her school initially said they would not be happy about it but would support her. Now they have said they will authorise 5 days a year! Having spoken to the LEA I know they can and will go above the school to licence her without their input but I'm worried! The lady at the LEA said the school would have to have a very good reason to turn it down and they won t be able to give one. My daughter has had 100% attendance the last 3 years, she's a free reader and top in all subjects in her class (she's year 3).
Will the school being unsupportive mean her licence is slowed down a lot? Will her agency be angry? I'm not sure what to do. I'm intending to challenge the school on this as soon as their offer letter arrives. So ridiculous!
Anyone with any experience that can offer any insight would be great!
mum2two
BRIT Award

Re: Help RE:School being difficult

Post by mum2two »

Are school aware that if a big project, she will have a tutor on set?
Cyrenna10
BRIT Award

Post by Cyrenna10 »

The school don't seem to care. They seem to be dismissing it and their stance is that I should be extremely grateful for the 5 days they've offered. My daughter had to turn down a part with 6 days commitment over this month and next because of a problem with travel and I supplied the email about it as an example. When school phoned they said "We would authorise 5 of the 6 days but she wouldn't be authorised the 6th day"...yeah, that's how this works?! I don't understand why they are being so difficult when the law basically says if the dates are k own they MUST be authorised.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The LEA is correct. Legally the school have no authority to refuse the absence unless there are sound educational reasons. So they'd be within their rights if important exams were to be affected (SATS or GCSE's) or if a child was struggling to keep up at school & there was evidence the absence would make this worse.
Cyrenna10
BRIT Award

Post by Cyrenna10 »

It gets even more strange! Having spoken to the head receptionist, who also deals with attendance, she said that she wasn't going to send me the letter she was asked to write from the governors because it's ridiculous and clearly won't work long term. She said, very cloak and dagger, that I should just bring all her paperwork in to her, and only her and she will "deal with it :? I am so confused. The place seem to be completely flummoxed as to what to do. They've clearly never dealt with anything like this under this head before. Mrs receptionist has been there years and been through many a child in MT or panto. Maybe she knows something I don't :D The thing that is most annoying me is that the head said it would go to the governors and yet I know that two governors at least knew nothing about it beyond my questioning them. So frustrating! ](*,)
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

The code that the school needs to enter in the register is C - an absence authorised for performance. It sounds as if you can leave it with the receptionist to get it sorted.
Kasmum
BRIT Award

Post by Kasmum »

We get 5 official days per school year, it is negotiable. It also doesn't include if he were to be educated on set as obviously then he's still classed as 'in education'. Hope you get it sorted.
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

Have you had a meeting with the Head face to face? Do you live near London as most auditions are after school.
We live over 3 hours away from London - and Head was fine once I had assured Dd's Head that Dd would not be going back and for to London, and missing full days of schooling for any 'ad hoc' auditions, (you know, those ones where about 250 kids turn up and it's 2 mins in and out :roll: )

Friends whose dc live in London or within an hour commute attended lots of those 'ad hoc - last minute' auditions and have had lots of TVC work but never missed school as the auditions are usually after school for that very reason.

Though if you do live near London and can attend lots of auditions - I guess the chance is that your daughter will get work that will take her off school - though at this age, if it what she wants to do and is performing well at academically - surely thats' a good thing. Hope you get it sorted.

Apart from 1 TVC audition that was fruitless, all other missed school was for castings, recalls or actual performances.
Dd is now in first year GCSE trerritory - so totally different and I know the Head would be unlikely to authorise time off during GCSE's so I wouldn't even ask.

Good Luck little one.