Realistically is it possible to combine auditioning and modelling after graduation?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Realistically is it possible to combine auditioning and modelling after graduation?

Post by Katymac »

And if so how?

What are good agencies to approach?
Does anyone have enough experience to look at DD's embryo portfolio for us & critique it?

We have a few (very busy) months before it happens but is there anything we can do in advance?
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Realistically is it possible to combine auditioning and modelling after graduation?

Post by pg »

You may well find that a decent *performance* agency will provide quite a few commercial modelling opportunities.

I think it depends what you mean by "modelling".

Commercial photoshoots are often dealt with by theatrical agencies as well as modelling agencies.

Some people also have one agent for modelling and one for acting - but if your dd is in demand, this could cause some friction.

I wouldn't worry too much about a portfolio at this stage. Any agent interested will look at what you have - and look at the *person* and make an assessment.

I could imagine your daughter being in demand for commercial photoshoots :)
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: Realistically is it possible to combine auditioning and modelling after graduation?

Post by missmoneypenny »

My dd1 is a 3rd year acting student and has always managed to squeeze a bit of modelling work in to help support herself, and I imagine she will carry on doing this after graduation. She hasn't signed with an acting agent yet as is at the stage where they are all coming to watch the 3rd year shows, but the ones she is interested in are acting only - so she will be with a separate modelling agent. I think as long as your dd has worked out what is the priority, and she makes it clear to the modelling agent at the start, this should work for now. If she already has some pics from shoots then great, but any good modelling agency will set up shoots/test shoots to help her build her book so please don't let any tell her she needs to pay - never for an adult model - feel free to pm me if you like x
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks PG & Missmoneypenny - we really need to prioritise the MT, but extra rent could be good!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Hi Katy

What is her plan? Does she start auditioning now or do they wait until they have graduated and are picked up by an agent? Just interested really, as you are at the other end of the journey! Am I right in thinking that Performers advocate cruise ships for recent graduates? I think the idea of combining modelling and auditioning is a great idea and would be interested to see how your DD gets on, as it is probably something my DD would consider too! :D
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

it's really complicated

If they audition too early they risk losing their diploma; they can risk it but if they get swing or understudy it can be tricky getting the Trinity assessor has to see them 3 times in 6 months (I think)

A lot of big shows are auditioning atm but some of them are too soon (or not DD's style). And if a bigger/favourite shows after a smaller/less popular one should you apply? What if you get the second but have already started the first?

I would like DD to concentrate on West End auditioning for a few months (possibly combined with modelling/adverts - if it's possible) before looking elsewhere (holiday parks - possibly not cruises as she gets seasick)

Performers do push cruises (see seasick above :? ) we (a couple of other parents & i) were discussing why and we couldn't work it out: it's a great Job if that's what you want but DD really doesn't

Now it's all about song choice/outfit/headshots - DD is re-doing her headshots again

And which casting websites do you register with - how many paid for ones? For how long?

& I thought auditioning for college was hard 8-[ ](*,) #-o
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

There are a lot of shows auditioning at the moment - but I would imagine there will be more around april/may time. Auditions at this stage are good practice but as you say , leave too early and perhaps not graduate.

My advice, for what its worth, would be to concentrate on getting an agent, whether that is through college or not. DD has several friends who model in between performing contracts. They all got agents as a result of graduate showcases.

Auditioning for paid work is hard, far harder than for college , not just because of sheer numbers but because of timing. Unlike college where it is for one intake at one time of year, shows, contracts etc overlap with dates . There was something a while back that my DD would have loved to audition for - but it would have meant refusing a contract starting in January to audition in march for a job she may not have got. Performing is very much a portfolio/jigsaw career and they need to make the pieces fit as best they can.

Casting websites - difficult to advise - she should get spotlight and she can register for no charge for entsweb, the stage and openauditions.co.uk.

Good luck
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

it is much harder than I thought - but she seems positive and we will have to see how it goes

I think having a particular usp or hook is useful - for DD her hair combined with her ballroom/latin and salsa/african experience means slightly different auditions are open to her alongside the more traditional auditions

But I might be fooling myself :roll:
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

no, you are not fooling yourself - something that makes her stand out (in a good way) helps get her notice and get her remembered.

Your DD is in for a few busy months but I am sure there will be help through her college for graduate showcase, photos, advice about agents etc.

As well as headshots, preparing songs for auditions, etc, her showreel can perhaps be updated to include footage from her college performances.

I would not be too quick to dismiss cruise ships though. DH and DD2 both get very travel sick but were fine on cruise ships. After worrying about it for 5 months DH did not even notice we had set sail - we had to tell him. Cruise ship work can give professional experience - covering a variety of style of show, with accommodation and food included and monthly pay - all important as they are building up their professional cv. Quite possibly better paid than UK holiday parks too.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Well we have been on 3 rangeing from 7-14 days and poor DD was not a happy bunny on any of them sadly :(

Do you know anything about body shots - we need them too but are getting conflicting advise; college rejected all her headshots so we are reshooting with a different photographer - I think she just doesn't present the 'normal' image so her photos don't quite fit (who knows)

An agent is the main aim as you say - the college keep some of them for their agency and then there is Move it plus thier end of year shows

DD is doing DT but is very capable of MT so again she is awkward!!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

oh maybe not a cruise contract then!

My DD didn't go to a college with an 'inhouse' agency as it were so they had a number of graduate showcase performances where agents were invited and took note of who they liked and got a chance to have a brief chat with them after the performance. The college also had agents in to run workshops so others got agents that way.

Several of the dance/mt agencies do hold open auditions though - both to get on their books or casting for a contract and thereby getting onto their books in doing so. Some of her friends did this route after doing cruise ship work without an agent. I think you will find there is a huge overlap between dance and MT - some may be more specifically commercial dance but most want triple threat anyway. Its really a case of research for prospective agents, audition if they have an audition day - unless the college's agent is what she wants.

As for body shots, not much help there I'm afraid. DD got her first contract before she got that far. She needs to get headshots updated and body shots when she gets back to the UK.