Comparing exam scores acrosss boards

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Toontownmum
Nominee

Re: Comparing exam scores acrosss boards

Post by Toontownmum »

viewtopic.php?t=22319

Above is another thread on here that might help?

Xx
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

Hi, did your friends child get a distinction with their dance exams as well? The grade boundaries might not be comparable but I would imagine that achieving a distinction with either board is a great achievement. I have no knowledge of IDTA but I do know it’s hard to get very high marks in RAD and ISTD ballet from chatting with other Mum’s about it over several years.
I would suggest not trying too hard to prove the other mum wrong or it could start to get very competitive between you which will spoil celebrating the achievements your children are having.
Well done to your DD! x
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Curiousdancemum wrote:Hi my DD has just done Grade 2 Ballet Tap and Modern with IDTA. She did will with high 80’s and Distinctions. A friend who’s daughter is with ISTD and RAD really cheese me off by saying that her score was only high because IDTA examiners are more generous and mark differently to ISTD and RAD.x
Why can't she just be happy for your dd? Why does she want to compare and make you feel that your dd's certificate is less than it is?
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Wouldn't call her a friend - you should point out that her DD only had to get 79 to get a distinction with RAD where as your DD had to get at least 85 with IDTA to gain a distinction, which means it is harder!! As they go through the IDTA grades I think, but may be wrong, that the distinction grade goes even higher so would be even more difficult to achieve. Well done to your DD, it is difficult enough to gain distinctions in any exam.xx
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

I would just stop sharing information with people like that. You very quickly find the few people who are genuinely delighted for your DC if they have had a triumph and genuinely supportive when things don't go so well, so seek them out and treasure them. I just go all vague and neutral with everyone else... erm I'm not sure...it was a while ago...they all do things differently don't they...they are really enjoying it...

Good luck and well done to your DD
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Hi, I teach all three - RAD, ISTD and IDTA and I am afraid that your friend is right. The RAD / ISTD ballet grades are much longer and harder than the IDTA ones, and it is certainly easier to get a distinction for IDTA ballet exams than RAD/ISTD.
However, this does not necessarily mean that your child wouldn't also get a distinction of they studied and prepared for an RAD / ISTD exam.

I would be more concerned about the negative / dismissive attitude of your friend than about comparing the different ballet syllabuses. I hope that she didn't say it in front of your child! Seriously, you don't need people like that in your life, as long as your child is enjoying her classes that is the main thing. Don't let a negative person suck the joy out of it, like my sister did to my daughter!! (haven't spoken for nearly 9 years because of this).