New and after noobie tips

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

nixi12
Nominee

New and after noobie tips

Post by nixi12 »

I have been reading the forums , firstly I am so glad that I have found this website , as a new mum in this it really is great to have somewhere to read advice and grab advice from others.

My DD had an audition with Acting Kidz , at the weekend and they have accepted her , they have asked for £150 for doing a website profile. Reading a lot of posts on the forums I have found it very confusing , some say that no agency should charge others are saying that some do charge and its fine.

I have checked the basics about this Agency, they are listed on Spotlight , and have although not great accounts , put in accounts to companies house, but I am still unsure how you can spot a legit agency , as with many of you I have not the money to be scammed.

There is a lot of helpful advice , but I cannot see anywhere any recommondations for agencies that people are using, just ways to check out agencies , but as mentioned before I am unsure on the checks , espically when it comes to if you should be asked to pay or not.

I would be grateful for any feedback re the Acting Kidz, based in Hammersmith London , and grateful for any recommendations for Agencies that are known to be legit.

thank you - one confused parent
tracie
BRIT Award

Re: New and after noobie tips

Post by tracie »

Hi there and welcome.
I would like to say that I personally would leave any agency alone that wants money off you. Reputable agencies don't ask for anything apart from the spotlight fee which you pay for. There are so many good agencies out there that DONT ask for money and they are the ones you should be looking at. Good luck
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Hi, I’d be reluctant to sign with someone who wanted more than spotlight/headshot fees. I know a lot of reputable agencies do seem to charge a fee of some sort,however in my opinion they get paid when they take their commission from any jobs your child may have. I think it’s a personal choice. Is the 150 for headshots too? I know a lot prefer you to use their own photographer and so tend to charge, Most will give you the choice of their photographer or sourcing your own :) x
nixi12
Nominee

Post by nixi12 »

thank you for replies , no the 150 does not include headshot fees, they say it is for doing a web profile on my DD.

Both replies so far are great in that it certainly is an eye opener out there into what is a reputable agency and what is not. If I am reading correct , most reputable agencies do not ask for any fee (apart from maybe the spotlight fee) although some might , so my confusion on if this agency is reputable or not is still there. I know an agency should be a personal choice , one you get along with etc, has anyone any recommendations for a reputable agency or is anyone on the forums with Acting Kidz or had any dealings with them. As like most of you none of us want to get scammed or indeed have the money to get scammed.

again thanks in advance
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

I’ve heard of them but can’t offer any info I’m afraid :( is it south you are looking? We are north but most will represent anywhere as clients will need to travel for auditions anyway :) top talent have a good reputation(they also charge), A&J too. 34 Management are new but seem to be doing well and are looking for kids at the min. We almost signed with them but ended up with a northern based agency. You are right to go on gut. Some of the more reputable ones I had felt like I was selling my DDs soul to the devil lol! Check contract also for notice you have to give if you choose to leave before you sign up with anyone :) x
Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pandora II »

When I was recently looking for a new agent, the following applied for me:

- highly selective. If they didn't want to audition, meet, or see tapes of my DD then I wasn't interested.
- not too much internal competition. I didn't want an agency where they would have to pick which blonde, long haired 9 year-old they were going to send to castings out of the 20 on their books.
- no fees other than spotlight and headshots.
- a feeling that we could communicate. I'm pretty well-behaved and don't want to feel I can never email or call my DD's agent without getting a black mark against my name.

In the end I applied to 6 agencies. Two I have yet to hear back from, one has a long wait till they next see children and the other 3 made offers.

We went with the smallest of the three, it just felt right - they had no charges for anything except Spotlight and you can use your own choice of photographer for headshots.