Amount/type of training at 13

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Amount/type of training at 13

Post by Hilltop »

Hello,

I have another question for you lovely people. My DD does a lot of performing art classes and clubs and we are just reassessing what she needs to do/wants to do/enjoys as we’re not sure if it’s too much etc. She definitely wants to do musical theatre later, rather than focusing on just one of the three triple threat skills.

So, I wanted to ask the parents whose children are doing full time musical theatre training what classes/clubs were your children doing at 13?

Thanks.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Re: Amount/type of training at 13

Post by Newbe2018 »

Hello, My dd has just started her full time training this year, it's something she always knew she wanted to do plus she was the type of kid who couldn't sit still if awake, so she probably did more than most. but the main activities were Gymnastics, Dance (included tap, modern, ballet, acro, lyrical, song and dance, commercial) singing lessons, additional dance classes Sunday's, dancing competitions every few months, music lessons. She also did a lot of pantos, armature musical theatre shows with local companies. As much stage stuff as possible, this is where they need to feel at home.

This amount is definitely not essential, as long as you cover dance and singing, I've seem girls train for years and either not got in or fallen out of love with the industry. The important thing is she just enjoys what shes doing and everything else will fall into place.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

At 13 she was in vocational school.

She had a daily ballet class, twice weekly tap & modern classes, weekly drama class, vocal ensemble, private singing lesson & private LAMDA lesson.

She's now in the fist year of professinal training.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Have a look at NYMT and YMT, as they can be listed as professional work, further down the line. They audition all around the country starting in November and as you get feedback from the audition, it's a good indication of where she is at or what might need work on.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

DS is 13. He says he wants to do MT for a career but I don't want all his eggs in one basket too soon, so he is trying to do enough for it to be a realistic option later on without schoolwork etc suffering. He does ballet X 2, tap, a private singing lesson, piano, Stagecoach and has an amazing drama teacher at school so school productions are very good. Has taken part in local pro panto/ good amateur stuff, and has done 3 summers of NYMT.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

What a great question, my daughter wants to go into the profession when older too, so she has a lot of classes with amdram when applicable. My husband has just started to complain about the amount if running around we do taking her to classes and rehearsals etc. At least now I can say she isnt doing anything more than most who want to take it further . :D
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

Weekly my ds does 3.5 hours musical theatre & 3 hours drama. He does a ballet class & a modern class ( only been doing this for a year so likely less than other boys) plus a private singing lesson. At the moment he has an extra 1.5 drama rehearsal for a national theatre connections play plus a 1.5 hour rehearsal for a school musical. He will shortly start rehearsals for his second panto. All my friends think I’m mad with the running around that’s why I like reading people’s posts on here.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

38ta wrote:Weekly my ds does 3.5 hours musical theatre & 3 hours drama. He does a ballet class & a modern class ( only been doing this for a year so likely less than other boys) plus a private singing lesson. At the moment he has an extra 1.5 drama rehearsal for a national theatre connections play plus a 1.5 hour rehearsal for a school musical. He will shortly start rehearsals for his second panto. All my friends think I’m mad with the running around that’s why I like reading people’s posts on here.

I know it does feel mad, I am in awe how they keep going. If she is happy well and learning then that is job done, if we could afford it and there was one near us, she would go to a full time stage/drama school. Its is so nice to know we are not the only ones.