Time and cost commitment of local youth theatre groups

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Time and cost commitment of local youth theatre groups

Post by Hilltop »

Last edited by Hilltop on Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Time and cost commitment of local youth theatre groups

Post by islandofsodor »

I think it depends on the group. Ds is in a youth theatre company and has had roles ranging from the lead to chorus. The group is very good at giving everyone plenty to do and putting little cameos in. He’s happy just to be in the show regardless of role.

He tried another group and it was entirely different. The chorus were there really just to sell tickets and there was lots of hanging round. He won’t be doing that one again.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Re: Time and cost commitment of local youth theatre groups

Post by Rose20 »

I agree! Very much depends upon the group. Some can have a youth club feel with hanging around chatting to friends, and others much more hard working allowing everyone to learn complex routines and harmonies. Both types of group suit different kids and their goals.
Regarding costs, in my experience, if you try cities or large towns near where you live they will often have youth groups that attract large amounts of youths wanting to audition (sometimes having to reduce the number to 1 or 2 hundred to make it manageable). The costs for these groups seem to be minimal despite very good quality shows. In these groups ensemble will be sought after and well worthwhile in my opinion.