Unkind thoughtless chaperones.......

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

twokidzplay
Nominee

Unkind thoughtless chaperones.......

Post by twokidzplay »

Chaperones.....what is too much to cope with?
What should my 14 year old DD have to put up with?
Should she be ranted at? for any reaon..?
Should she be isolated?
Should she feel uncared for and not liked?
What is acceptable behaviour from a chaperone?
Any thoughts?

Oh, I just made the decision to contact the LEA as I feel she has already put up with too much...I didn't want it to get to that point, as I felt it would make it hard for all the kids, not just my own.

:x :cry:
Golightly
BRIT Award

Re: Unkind thoughtless chaperones.......

Post by Golightly »

A chaperone's first priority is always to the child.

A chaperone is the key person to whom a child looks to for guidance, protection, clarification and support.

A chaperone shall be responsible for the proper care and control of the child, including his health, comfort, kind treatment and moral welfare.
If the chaperone is failing in their duty of care then you must let the production company know.
twokidzplay
Nominee

Post by twokidzplay »

Golightly. Sorry I missed out the very important...the production staff have been told since week one of our concerns, and numerous times after that...
Last edited by twokidzplay on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I am no expert as have invariably chaperoned the kids myself, but I would never expect them to make my child unhappy in any way. I think you are right to contact the LEA - I would be horrified and angry too - hope you get it sorted, in my opinion it is not on at all. x
twokidzplay
Nominee

Post by twokidzplay »

The hardship is over....my DD has been released from her contract...she is over the moon..thank heavens. The excitement of being on the TV was not enough to make up for the months of unkind treatment.
The LEA are involved and being very helpful.
We are also going to get some bullying counselling from the school. Hopefully our DD will be back to her normal wild and outgoing ways really soon.. :D

Thanks for you kind PM's.

:D
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

You're quite right to contact the LEA.....people like this give chaperones a bad name. You should also point out that you feel the production company haven't taken your concerns seriously ...they have a duty of care. Let us know what the outcome is.
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
twokidzplay
Nominee

Post by twokidzplay »

My DD was released from her contract........she is happy it is all over...but it should never have come to this.

Professional, world reknown companies should have the interest of the child as a priority.

We have been totally let down...now just to wait and see if she will get any screen time in the episodes she had shot.

Yours disgusted with the professionals,

twokidzplay
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Are you allowed to tell us more about this? Or have they "gagged" you?!!! It sounds like a horrendous experience. When most of our kids are waiting for a big break, and it sounds like yours had got just that, it must have been completely intolerable for you to get her released from the contract because of it. I sometimes think we put up with things we shouldn't because the kids are OK with it, and we want to seem helpful, and I'm sure you must have been like that in the early days so something really dreadful must have been happening to turn you against them.

I'm really sorry that it's been such a negative experience for you - hope it hasn't put her off for life?!! We've been on a number of shoots, both professional and amateur, and we've always been treated with respect and courtesy. They're definitely NOT all like that!!!
twokidzplay
Nominee

Post by twokidzplay »

Thanks to all of you who have posted or PM'd me.

Please if you have similar issues, speak up. The more I hear the more dissapointed i get. Our kids should be cared for and treated as professionals.

Below is a list from a bullying website. It is an adult site for "work place bullying". My child has suffered everything on this list...and it sounds as though other kids have as well....

What is bullying?

1. constant nit-picking, fault-finding and criticism of a trivial nature - the triviality, regularity and frequency betray bullying; often there is a grain of truth (but only a grain) in the criticism to fool you into believing the criticism has validity, which it does not; often, the criticism is based on distortion, misrepresentation or fabrication
2. simultaneous with the criticism, a constant refusal to acknowledge you and your contributions and achievements or to recognise your existence and value
3. constant attempts to undermine you and your position, status, worth, value and potential
4. where you are in a group (eg at work), being singled out and treated differently; for instance, everyone else can get away with murder but the moment you put a foot wrong - however trivial - action is taken against you
5. being isolated and separated from colleagues, excluded from what's going on, marginalized, overruled, ignored, sidelined, frozen out, sent to Coventry
6. being belittled, demeaned and patronised, especially in front of others
7. being humiliated, shouted at and threatened, often in front of others
finding that everything you say and do is twisted, distorted and misrepresented
8. being subjected to disciplinary procedures with verbal or written warnings imposed for trivial or fabricated reasons and without proper investigation
9. being coerced into leaving through no fault of your own, constructive dismissal, early or ill-health retirement, etc

Please think about reporting those that have wronged your kids...in the long run it keeps all of our kids safe. :D
whateverlife
BRIT Award

Post by whateverlife »

Horrible!!! I mean these people are trained to work with children, but even so, no adult should treet a child badly even if they arent being paid to look after them!
Its like teachers who dont like kids, why are they doing it??? I hate this kind of thing. And how horrible that it took so long to be dealt with!!! {evil} {evil}