Drama School Auditions

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Drama School Auditions

Post by Caroline A-C »

Have a bit of a problem and I wonder whether anybody out there has had experience of this before. My ds has an audition at Central on Friday. His college tutor has just asked him and the other boy who also has an audition to ring up and cancel saying they have flu and rearrange for later. The reason for this is that the tutor has not covered contemporary monologues yet. I am appalled by this. My ds had actually done the necessary monologues despite this. We don't know which way to go - ignore the tutor or reschedule the audition. Any views?
All new to me!
Tatty t
GRAMMY Award

Re: Drama School Auditions

Post by Tatty t »

I would check first if you can re schedule as some colleagues are quite strict , I would try and learn another piece by Friday if he can , I would b very annoyed
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

If he's prepared his monologues and feels ready, then I'd say ignore the tutor and go...
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

This is not about the applicant being ready but the tutor!!! If your DS feels ready then he should go. If an applicant is genuinely ill then they will rescheduled, but they may ask for Dr paper - my DD had to do this once and sent a paper in anyway as she didn't want them to think she was doing what the tutor has suggested here!! Basic rule is not to send application off unless ready - this means your son not his tutor. It should be HIS choice.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Good grief! I'd say ignore the tutor if he feels ready. Most schools (if not all)) want to see a student's own interpretation, not a coached version, in any case. I'm staggered at this suggestion. As long as your ds has prepared the correct sort of monologue as stipulated by the drama school then he should go if he feels ready. I know many,manny students who have got into drama schools with no help from tutors. Has the tutor consulted with your ds to see whether he feels ready? Crumbs...
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Glad everybody seems to have the same opinion as me. Have not rescheduled his audition although I believe the other student has. Need to talk things through with ds first before doing anything.
All new to me!
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

Son tried to reschedule with Central a couple of years ago during December and they insisted they had too many applications and would not do it unless their were extreme circumstances. Most learn their monologues without the need for a tutors help so if your son is ready go for it. As WM said applications shouldnt be sent unless you are ready as some auditions can come through at very short notice.
Saying that my DD has hers with Central in March and has already had the date a month!
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Ds is prepared and IS going to the audition. His tutor seems to have back tracked a bit by telling him he has chosen a really great contemporary piece. Ds seems a lot happier now too. Think this particular tutor likes to be top dog which is not good. Thanks to everybody for their comments.
All new to me!
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

Good luck to him - let us know how he gets on xx
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

Good luck to him - I think you are right not to reschedule - dd had her audition there in December on one of the very heavy snow days and they were very anti rearranging if you could get there as they would struggle to reschedule . DD did hers without a tutor input the most important thing is that the student is happy and confident with their choice - they will investigate enough to see what they want to see from a candidate : )
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!