Short film

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Short film

Post by stagecoach2007 »

ds has been called to film on friday for a short film. they have asked him to attend from 10.00 -5.00.... can someone tell me the legal amount of hours a 4 year old is able to work please?
Golightly
BRIT Award

Re: Short film

Post by Golightly »

For Under 5s:

Maximum hours at place of performance is 5 hours.
Earliest/latest times at place of performance 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Maximum period of continuous performance 30 mins
Maximum number of hours performing 2 hours.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Have they sorted out a licence for ds as he can not work with out one
stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Post by stagecoach2007 »

They havent mentioned licence. and i havent a clue about licences 8-[
minnie10
BRIT Award

Post by minnie10 »

Its a mind field all the licenses etc. My dd is doing her first student/short film on Friday (yay at last!!) but our local council or whoever it is said as long as the film isn't for broadcasting purposes there was no need for a license, but i've a feeling I read somewhere on here it depends what area you live in.

I rang our local council and they were really helpful, hope yo get it all sorted though
:D
stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Post by stagecoach2007 »

i didnt think you needed a licence for short films/student films... it hasnt ever been mentioned by directors before
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

We have always had to have a licence for filming student films.

Don't listen to the students - many of them have no idea about licensing laws etc. I have had to educate many in my time, as I am sure a lot of other parents have!
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Post by stagecoach2007 »

So is it me who has to apply for a licence? how long do you have to allow for them to come through? do i just apply to the council ? thanks
kittykatty
BRIT Award

Post by kittykatty »

It is the producer who should apply for the license but agree that a lot of students don't know about them and I have done a lot of education as well. They have mainly been grateful for the help but occasionally act like they are doing you a big favour when really you are doing them one. What is confusing to them as well is the fact that it is the council where the child lives who issues the license not where the students are based or where they are filming so they may be told one thing by one council but it may not apply with another.

My council has always insisted on licenses even for student films at the weekend that are not paid but other councils have different policies. A lot of councils let you do four days a year as long as no time off school and not paid so you may be ok Stagecoach if your little ds has not done much before. I would check your council website before you do anything.

My dd did her first two student films without license because I didn't know such a thing existed - it was a case of ignorance was bliss I think.
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

There are two parts to the licence application form, one part is completed by the production company (or in this case students) and the other part by yourself (or sometimes your agent). If you go to your local council's website nearly all now have information on child performance licences and many have the application form online too. So you can download this and send it to the students for them to complete their half. It's a way of judging how "professional" the students are (and how worthwhile/successful the filming is going to be) by how seriously they take this.

They should also make sure their shooting schedule fits around the needs of the child (and the licence requirements) especially for one as young as yours, rather than expect the child (and you) to fit in with their requirements.

Good luck!
stagecoach2007
GRAMMY Award

Post by stagecoach2007 »

Thanks for the help.... i have just been onto council website to check and we are ok for this week as its only our ds second day of filming.... i have copy and paste there requirements below in case anyone else is interested.....

When does a child need a licence? Any child of school age (up to and including Year 11) who is involved in a performance must have a licence if:
•they have to miss school
•they are receiving payment
•they perform more than three days in any six month period.
There are very few exceptions when a performance licence is not needed. Performances arranged by an ordinary school (not a dance school) do not require a performance licence for children taking