Student Bank Account

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Student Bank Account

Post by Fruitcake »

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good student bank account?

DS is still using the savings account he's had since he was tiny, but now needs to be able to access his money a little easier.

He needs to have a card so he can draw money out of a cash dispenser, but I don't want him being able to go overdrawn!

Any recommendations would be really helpful, as it seems a bit of a minefield out there at the moment.

:D
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Student Bank Account

Post by sapphire »

DD has just opened a student account with the Co-operative Bank. This can all be done on-line. This account has a staggered agreed interest-free overdraft facility which increases each year of the course. Most guides to student banking I have seen seem to say that an interest-free overdraft is the most important thing to look for so they don't run up any charges when they invariably do get overdrawn! DD was more interested in the Co-op's ethical principles than any freebies offered by other high street banks ... I think Santander is giving all new students £50 and Lloyds TSB is offering free YHA membership. NatWest used to offer a free railcard but don't think it does this anymore.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Many thanks for all that info, Sapphire. :D

Will get DS to have a look.
emypeach
BRIT Award

Post by emypeach »

DD has an under 19s account with Lloyds TSB.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accoun ... counts.asp

We have found it great so far. Her pocket money goes in automatically every month and she has a debit card so she can take it out whenever she likes. I don't think she can go overdrawn.

E x
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

We found this guide the most helpful: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/studen ... nk-account
shortguy
GRAMMY Award

Post by shortguy »

My DD has a student account with HSBC. They were very helpful when we went in for a chat.

She also has a rather large interest free overdraft which she has had to use and they also gave her a £500 credit card which she left at home when she went to university!
"Never look down on anybody else unless you are helping them up"
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

The money saving expert guide is very good as it is updated all the time. One thing i would say is dont be seduced by "offers" - look at overdraft limits etc particularly how long the terms continue after graduationg
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

Thank you all so much for all the info.

We shall be having a good look over the next few days and hopefully getting something sorted very soon!