Days off School

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

twirlymum
BRIT Award

Days off School

Post by twirlymum »

Is there a limit to the time missed at school for performing or filming?
My DS is filming his fourth commercial this year, and has so far missed three days from school this term, with two more days due this week. His school have been great so far, but I just wondered if there was a set amount of hours they have to do.
DS is seven, if that makes a difference?
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Re: Days off School

Post by lollypop »

As far as I know there are no fixed legal limits on time off, although there are conditions in the licensing on providing education on set etc.The school has obviously been supportive so far which is great, so why don't you ask them if they have a policy? If it is likely to be an issue, I would prefer to know sooner to help prioritise future opportunities.
twirlymum
BRIT Award

Post by twirlymum »

Yes that's an idea, thanks Lollypop.
He's having quite a good run at the moment but it could all fizzle out!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Just make sure that it is authorised absence as some schools will allow your child to perform/film but are putting codes in the system that say unauthorised.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

There was a huge thread on here covering many aspects of this. It was at around this time last year, but it appears to have been deleted. :? Admin, any ideas where its gone, as it's no longer appearing in my "View your posts" section ?
twirlymum
BRIT Award

Post by twirlymum »

Everything is authorised and licensed, on his report it is marked as educated off site.
WendyB
BRIT Award

Post by WendyB »

Well done to your ds TwirlyMum. My ds has had 4 days off for films this year and every now and then we get sent the standard letter stating a child can have up to ten days authorised absence but it's by no means a right. I do t know if they use this as a hard and fast limit and I can't see us testing it but if in doubt ask.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

The 10 days was a national entitlement which has been abolished for both state and private schools. It was intended to cover family holidays but now everyone is told they should book holidays out of term time. Whether parents get charged £60 per child per parent per week depends on the school & lea. The school does not receive the money.

Your school's website should have all their policies on there, but i don't think many will have considered performing children. Begolina's excellent research dug out info which i doubt many schools or Head would be aware of (see the other thread from last week).

Sounds like your Dc is having lots of success - good luck for more!