Checking credentials on KCCP jobs

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Checking credentials on KCCP jobs

Post by bethjaneg »

Just wondered how people with DC on KCCP check the credibility of the jobs/companies etc. I signed DS up and applied for a short film. He was asked to self tape but when I asked for sides I got a vague reply about how the script is still being written and to send a self tape of him talking about himself. I didn't feel comfortable so didn't do it. I then got an email saying DS was perfect from his photo and would I be sending a self tape as there were other boys wanting to be considered but that they wanted to see my son first. I emailed an excuse back that he was too busy etc and good luck with the project. My gut instinct was to walk away but it's made me wonder about how you check that projects are actually real and not dodgy.
I know the KCCP had given some DC great opportunities so I know it's legitimate but how do you make sure?
I'm probably being overprotective!
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Checking credentials on KCCP jobs

Post by Dodger'smum »

Hmm, not sure you can but (in my experience) if you raise the issue of child safety with KCCP they become very defensive and quite rude. I politely and quietly pointed out that their guarantee against access to details and images via Google was not working and we found our account closed when we went to log in one day. We haven't really noticed as, like most things, I think it's very geared towards London work/kiddies. A couple more years before non-child status anyway but I still feel strongly about keeping our youngsters safe and being able to trust web-based services provided by business professionals.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I don't think there's a foolproof way of doing it - though you can contact CCP and see whether they have any reassurances to give.

If you have any names, you can do some Internet research. If it's a student film , you could contact the college.

I think CCP do at least read the postings before they go up ( though can't be 100% sure of that ) which is more than can be said for Star now.

I think the "employers" are more often inexperienced than dodgy. Though some dodgy ones do crop up from time to time.

The best you can do is ask for the information you need to help you come to a decision and if you can't get it, just let it go (especially if it's unpaid ).

If you have an agent and it's paid work, my recommendation would be to involve your agent.

The circumstances you describe may not be dodgy exactly (though might well point to lack of preparation ). In all honesty, many short films won't really have useful "sides" to send out (though they ought to be able to send you the script, or at least the treatment ). I can see how asking for a monologue or some "chat" on a self tape could give casters much more of a clue about whether the actor is suitable than a bit of script where mostly they need the actor to react to what's going on and deliver five words.

You should be able to find out from them who they are and what ( if anything ) they've done before. If they're not prepared to enter intoa dialogue with you ( especially if there's no pay) then I think it's a signal to walk away.
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

Thanks for the replies. I ended up withdrawing ds's premium membership partly due to the hassle involved vetting people and also as on occasion he'd get asked to cast really close to the shoot and his agency couldn't license in time. I'm going to leave it for now and may rejoin in the future. Luckily he has a good agent and regular castings and work so it was really for the quieter times.

There's been a case this week on KCCP where the advertised job was a total scam and I think it's brought to light the need for KCCP to check up on their advertisers in more detail.
Happydaze23
BRIT Award

Post by Happydaze23 »

Xcxxc
Last edited by Happydaze23 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

I think kidsccp are very defensive indeed when you question their verification procedures. They shut down conversation that was happening on their own noticeboard and facebook page about it over the weekend.
Or else they need to be a lot more up front about what this process is to parents, be crystal clear about its limitations and make much clearer recommendations about sharing information with potential employers. At the moment they make their procedures sound quite thorough. They are not. If you think that's what you are paying for you are mistaken.
Precisely, they don't like questions and I'm just wondering now if their false assurances should be picked up by a regulator of some kind as there is no way of discussing it with KCCP directly - as Happydaze23 correctly points out, they just shut down completely - not how you do things professionally, surely?

So sorry to hear of your concerns, Happydaze23, but we can all put lots down to experience I'm sure. You're certainly not an idiot x
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

You could put in a freedom of information request, asking for information on their vetting procedures - I'm amazed they don't check these out themselves - especially as it's kids we're talking about, for goodness sake.
James C
BRIT Award

Post by James C »

What happened? They contacted asking for videos and then asked for money? Why did they say they wanted money? Can someone enlighten me on the job so I can make sure we didn't apply for it please.
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

I think that all that applied received an email explaining the situation after it was brought to KCCP's attention from parents who suspected it was dodgy.
Happydaze23
BRIT Award

Post by Happydaze23 »

It claimed to be for a campaign for MobilExxon (but obviously nothing to do with them). Those who had applied with a video attached received an email to say their child had been successful and had the part. The filming was overseas and after calling the contact it was explained that there would be some initial upfront payment to partially cover travel and accommodation costs (which would be more than covered by payment once job complete) - this was the scam!

Hopefully nobody parted with money. Interestingly the original post asked for 'new faces - unrepresented' so obviously they were hoping for inexperienced parents who wouldn't spot that this it is not standard practice.

Kids ccp have contacted by email those that applied to advise no further contact with 'employer'.

Why did they want videos? Hopefully just to seem convincing? But still not a nice thought that these organised criminals now have parents emails, children's details and videos.

In the future I would only contact employers via the website 'inbox' system (where they don't have access to your email etc) until I have had a good chance to vet the person myself (but as I have seen google doc applications on the system before it didn't raise any suspicion with me until too late) :(

I believe hundreds applied.....