Songs for 9 yo

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

tikto
GRAMMY Award

Songs for 9 yo

Post by tikto »

I'm looking for suggestions of songs to sing for my 9 yo. Her singing teacher asks us to bring the music and we've run out of ideas. She's done quite a few already from the big musicals eg chitty, SoM, Mary poppins, Wizard of Oz etc Any suggestions of things perhaps less known would be welcome. Thank you.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Songs for 9 yo

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Maybe the singing teacher could bring a song every other lesson. That way your dd could still pick something she likes but the teacher could pick something to help her develop. Seems a bit unfair that you always have to find something. What about a song from Seussical?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Surely the teacher should be finding songs that work on whatever technical/musical/stylistic issues your dd needs to focus on at that particular moment in time?

That's how dh teaches anyway.
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

I probably should ask him what songs he could suggest but up till now it was working really well with my daughter bringing the songs she knows/likes and working together with the teacher to improve it etc. Thank you for the Seussical idea, we will look into it. I even think we might have the music for it somewhere in the house!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The problem with that approach is that you only ever learn songs , not singing. There has to be a mix

For example dd is very into certain styles of musical theatre songs & she's also obsessed with superheroes. She took a song to her lesson called superhero girl (goodness knows where she found it) because she loves it.

But it does nothing for her & doesn't help to address the areas of technique she needs to work on to improve her voice. So dh gave her On My Own instead as that means she has to work on those areas.
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

Hi islandofsodor and thank you for your input. I agree but think it also depends on the age of student. Mine's only just turned 9, and although obviously some songs are more 'challenging ' to her than others I think at her age it's more about fun and not overdoing it by straining your voice.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Surely the teacher ought to be able to suggest songs that won't strain her voice? I'd have thought they'd be better qualified to know what songs would be suitable than a 9 year old or a helpful parent, and be able to suggest material, unless they're someone not really qualified but just sort of helping out and you're not paying what you'd pay a professional.

Maybe songs from Disney would give you some more ideas?
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

He must be slacking off and relying on my music degree (classical). No, we pay for lessons. I only posted here to ask for song suggestions similar to others asking about monologues etc.. Learning alone in the universe this week, thanks for the suggestion.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

The Girl I mean to be from The Secret Garden
tikto
GRAMMY Award

Post by tikto »

Thanks biscuitsneeded :D