Request for permission for possible time off

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kasmum
BRIT Award

Request for permission for possible time off

Post by Kasmum »

My 9 year old has the opportunity to audition for a theatre production. A prerequisite to audition is obtaining head teacher permission should he be successful and to ease disruption with licencing. Audition is in summer hols so can understand they want to know the children they cast will be supported by their school. Problem is he is only due to start year 5 at this school in September (middle school ) so struggling to write a letter to a head teacher who does not know myself or my child. He has not even started at this school and I'm asking for possible time off. It's 5 days max over Dec /jan if anyone can advise would be great. At his current school he has excellent attendance behaviour and achievement. Just need help with template thanks
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Re: Request for permission for possible time off

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hello Kasmum,

Welcome to napm and hope you have lots of happy reading. :)
Is it absolutely necessary to get the Head teachers permission before your ds has even auditioned? He won't need permission to audition if its in the summer holidays. If its a new school that your ds is starting at, I would try to avoid asking the Head for letters when he hasn't got a part as yet. Hopefully he will be successful then you could ask for permission. If you want to get on the right side of the Head, then perhaps arrange to meet with them to discuss possible auditions/castings etc. once he is at the school.

The thing is, if your new Head has to write a letter authorising him to have time off for every part he may possibly get, the school office could feel that it's a bit of a waste of time if he doesn't then secure that part. Most auditions don't ask you to provide school letters saying that your kids can play the part before they've even auditioned.

If he has good attendance etc then there shouldn't be a problem for the school to authorise time off if he is successful. Good luck :)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

I would wait and see if he gets a recall or is offered the part. There is plenty of time after summer for them to sort out licences. If they ask you at the audition then you should just tell them that he is starting a new school after the holidays so will ask then.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It might be useful to know that legally the headteacher cannot refuse permission (though they might not realise that if they get confused with the new guidance on unauthorised time off. The only time a head can legally refuse is if they have sound education reasons eg. the child would be missing national exams or is already very behind with their academic work and finding it difficult to catch up.

My dd was in a show one September and a friend of hers was due to transfer to secondary. Her mum just took the licence forms to the new secondary head before they broke up for the school holidays along with a covering letter.
emily'smum
BRIT Award

Post by emily'smum »

Hi Kasmum, welcome to NAPM!

My dd is currently in a production that needed permission from her current school and her new school (also starting year 5 in September). Both schools have been really supportive. I just rang the new school and explained the position. However that was when she was cast - I too can't see the point in bothering the school before that time. It just makes extra work for them.

We were advised by the CD at the first recall to have mentioned it to the head teacher, but no letters required at that stage and certainly nothing for the first audition.

Sounds quite unusual. Best of luck!!

Hi RoseTowers4!
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Hi emily'smum - hope everything is going well :D
emily'smum
BRIT Award

Post by emily'smum »

Fabulous thanks RoseTowers4. Really enjoying it :D \:D/
Kasmum
BRIT Award

Post by Kasmum »

Thank you very much for replies. The form actually has a space for the head teacher to sign. It does seem unusual but it's one day audition and any recalls. I believe their reasoning is wanting to cast and not wanting any hold ups come September. But they've made it clear it must be signed to avoid disruption and disappointment. Just not sure how to word the request x
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Hello Kasmum,

We have only been doing this for about a year or so, but I had a nice friendly conversation before letters or anything with the headmistress and said we were planning to try and put DS for auditions as he was really keen to give it a go, and then I asked how she felt about him missing time at school if the opportunity arose. The school know we are massively supportive with DS's work, we always do the homework, reading etc and when we realised he was behind with maths we got him some extra help.

As a result of this the school have been 100% behind his endeavours and last night one of the teachers at school even came to watch him in Priscilla in Bristol. I also make sure I ask the teacher he is going to have next year (I will be asking in the next week) how they feel about possible absences and again up until now they have been so supportive and make sure they help him with anything he has missed.

I feel that if you have an honest face to face conversation, you will not just get permission, but will also get their support. I know that letters are maybe the 'correct' thing to do to protect yourself, but sometimes an open frank chat is so much more personable.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Dear (insert name)
My son, (insert name) is due to start at your school in September 2016 in year 5.
He has been asked to attend an audition over the summer holidays for (insert production) and if he is successful at this audition would need to have a few days off school during December/January to take part. The production company require a signature from his school before they will allow him to attend the initial audition and I enclose a copy of the form that needs signing. Would you be kind enough to sign this form and return it in the enclosed envelope?
If there are any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,

Does that help? :)
Also agree with ScoobyDoo that you should chat first. :)
Kasmum
BRIT Award

Post by Kasmum »

Thanks once again, that's fab thank you O:) There is an opportunity to meet teachers ect at school so yes will consider bringing it up in conversation, but great template thanks. I'm good at writing but I over think things and always end up waffling lol.