Rehearsal and show on school day.

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Rehearsal and show on school day.

Post by lawn »

DD is in a production one hours drive from where we live. So far, rehearsals have taken place on a weekend, so there's been no problem with school. Next month when the show is on there is a rehearsal on the Thursday evening for just short of 4 hours (so almost 6 hours once we've added on travel time) that DD will need to attend after school. We'll get in about 11pm. The following day she'll be in school again all day, followed by us setting off when she gets home to be at the theatre, for rehearsal, followed by show that night and then 2 shows the following day.

I am slightly worried about how tired she'll be on the Friday at school, when she's done a school day plus rehearsal and will be doing a show that night plus 2 the following day. I don't think I'll be able to ask for time off school during Friday as she's not actually rehearsing/performing during the school day. Am I just worrying about nothing, she is 13 and other people's experience are that their kids have been fine? Any help/suggestions given will be appreciated.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Re: Rehearsal and show on school day.

Post by Gatesheadangel »

My DD did professional panto aged 8 and 12. It started as school all day and rehearsals most nights, rehearsals through substantial parts of the weekend. Then for some rehearsals all day, others school followed by rehearsals. The show then opened, early November, and closed the latter half of January. Day 1 and 2: going to school until lunchtime, then eat in car on way to theatre, afternoon show, packed tea in dressing room, evening show, home after 10PM. Day3 and 4 were just school days. Then repeat in the two day cycle. Weekends meant the mornings were for all the homework and school catchup work, before the lunchtime heading off to theatre for shows. No holiday break. Every 10 days or so the show wasn't on, to give everyone a few hours off; except the kids went to school because they were week days.

Very tiring, but probably as much for the parents fitting in all the driving and extra packed lunch prep while juggling work hours around, because once the kids were in the theatre they loved doing the shows.

Last weekend DD was in her stage school shows almost all weekend, fitting in her homework early in the morning, and had the kind of enjoyable weekend she lives for.

Honestly, your DD will have a great time, and will be on a high ready to get through the tiring time afterwards. The long travelling is unfortunate, but nothing an early night or two can't sort out when it's all over. GOOD LUCK to her too :D
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Ds was in shows and rehearsals pretty much through school years 5,6,7 and 8. His schoolwork didn't suffer, he managed to pass his 11 plus whilst touring for 6 months. For one show we had 10 weeks of rehearsal 5 days a week with 2 hours travelling either side. He had an amazing time and managed to catch up on sleep on his days off
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned too much about homework as I'll ensure she's got it up to date during the week and anything left can be done on the Sunday. It's more to do with attending school following the long rehearsal and travel time. Good to know everyone elses child has been ok. DD loves performing so I'm sure she'll manage. I've been having a look and see there is something about a minimum overnight break. Does this mean purely inbetween performances?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

She'll be fine.

The break does purely mean between rehearsals and performances etc, not school.

When much younger(11) my dd was in a show approx an hours drive away from where we live. She was licvensed to miss some school (we had to be at the theatre for a 2pm tech on the Monday which ended at 10.00pm.

She then went to school on the Tuesday, performed in the evening, we stayed overnight she did a matinee and an evening on the Wednesday, drove home, school Thursday & Friday and performed on the Friday evening.