Questions from a beginner

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Cas
Nominee

Questions from a beginner

Post by Cas »

Hi everyone,
Just a couple of questions really as this is all new to me.
Google has been helpful and I've now found Jo Hawes' website and, of course, NAPM so not a bad start! I'm thinking of emailing my little girl's details in for The Sound of Music tour and so, if we go ahead with that, what happens next? Will she be asked to audition for Jo Hawes if she feels she's suitable? Also, how do tours work for children? Is there a minimum age? Does the parent travel and stay at the various locations with their child?
Sorry if these questions may seem basic but I have no experience of this really.
Thanks in advance :-)
katylouw
Nominee

Re: Questions from a beginner

Post by katylouw »

Jo H also wrote a book about children in theatre which you might find a great resource.

Auditions for the next Jo H. shows are in the Autumn, she'll be invited to audition if they think she's suitable then as many recalls as it takes. Jo likes to see many many children so she doesn't miss anyone. Make sure she's the right height as those heights are really strict.

Don't think parents usually go on tour. Chaperones take over.
Cas
Nominee

Post by Cas »

Thanks so much for replying - I'll have a look for her book as that definitely sounds useful. With a tour, is a child expected to go to any theatre no matter how far from home or do they cast them to just do a particular region?
Thanks again :-)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

The child will travel with chaperones and stay near to the theatre
Local children may be cast for chorus, sewer kids etc depending on the production but leads , such as in Chitty, will tour with the production and go where it goes.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Cas
Nominee

Post by Cas »

Do you think the children in the Sound of Music would be the same and travel with the tour? I'm completely jumping ahead I know (she might not even be seen!) but i just wanted to understand how it works first.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

When Ds was in SOM they would be dropped off at a London station either on Sunday evening or Monday morning. They would then come home a week later. They had one week on and two weeks of but were on stand by the whole time to cover illness/injury. I think now they do 3 days on and 6 days off- much easier for the younger ones. He had the best time ever and has lovely memories
Cas
Nominee

Post by Cas »

Thanks Dogcop - the three days on six off sounds good especially as she's only 7. Out of interest how did the littlest ones deal with being away for a week at a time? Also how long are the contracts usually for?

I've ordered Jo Hawes' book now too ;-)
Trundlemum
BRIT Award

Post by Trundlemum »

This is an interesting thread for you to read. Should answer lots of questions you've not even thought of yet!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21260
Cas
Nominee

Post by Cas »

Thanks so much, that thread was a great help too and has indeed answered many questions! Thank you :-)