summer schools

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Robin64
BAFTA Award

summer schools

Post by Robin64 »

Has anyone got feedback about summer schools / short courses that are aimed at those considering training in MT ? I am thinking 17 years and above type courses. GSA is the one I know about from looking it up but was wondering about any others.
Thanks
woody
BRIT Award

Re: summer schools

Post by woody »

Tring Park School has one, 7-12 Aug for ages 10-16. No experience of their MT courses, but the dance ones are very good.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

I think they have one-day workshops which might go up to 18, not sure of the dates though.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

My DDs have not been to any mt summer schools themselves but their friend went to Trinity Laban summer school when they were a month short of their 17th birthday. I know international students have to be 16 already. She enjoyed it very much - its aimed at those considering a career in the industry and she is now doing her degree there. Laines also offer a very good summer school that friends have attended but at 17 your DD would be one of the oldest. I think Urdangs course is for up to 21 year olds - it is more dance based but does have a musical theatre option. Is the GSA one you mention the same as the West End Theatre Stage one? A friend was supposed to go that one last year after good reports but she got glandular fever!os obviously no feedback!
karen@nexusdsl.co.uk
Nominee

Post by karen@nexusdsl.co.uk »

Robin64 I have PMd you
Dizzyaboutdance
Nominee

Post by Dizzyaboutdance »

Hi Folks
Can anyone help!! :? :? My DD (just recently turned 16)and is hoping to apply to schools next year (2018). Her preference being Urdang. We do not come from a performing arts background and I am quite daunted by the process. Her strength and passion is dance. She has no acting experience at all and very limited singing experience (only just started singing lessons to assist in the future audition process). I booked her onto Urdang's Pre-Audition Course in February hoping that we could gain some insight into the world of performing arts and life away from home as we live in Scotland. However the school have since sent me a list of songs/monologues requesting that my DD prepares 1 of each for the start of the course. Now feel like I have thrown my daughter in at the deep end :cry: :cry: Any help/advise would be much appreciated.
DOFFILER1
Nominee

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Hi If your dd, like mine did, has her heart set on Urdang, you have definately done the right thing by booking her on the Pre-Audition course.
We were in a similar situation where dd had only really danced, so had to have some private singing and acting lessons and discovered an amazing singing voice, we never knew she had.
At 17 she did the pre-audition course and realised that she had a lot more to do before she was ready to start a full time MT course. She took an board the feedback and completed a year's drama school foundation course that covers everything. This time last year she did her first audition at Urdang and is now a first year student there, and loves it. Your dd's singing teacher can help her to prepare a song, and there must be a teacher at school to help with the monologue. There is not much I don't know now about the audition and funding process, so feel free to pm me. The first audition at Urdang is more about the dancing than the singing/acting, but she still has a year to develop those areas.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Dizzyaboutdance wrote:Hi Folks
Can anyone help!! :? :? My DD (just recently turned 16)and is hoping to apply to schools next year (2018). Her preference being Urdang. We do not come from a performing arts background and I am quite daunted by the process. Her strength and passion is dance. She has no acting experience at all and very limited singing experience (only just started singing lessons to assist in the future audition process). I booked her onto Urdang's Pre-Audition Course in February hoping that we could gain some insight into the world of performing arts and life away from home as we live in Scotland. However the school have since sent me a list of songs/monologues requesting that my DD prepares 1 of each for the start of the course. Now feel like I have thrown my daughter in at the deep end :cry: :cry: Any help/advise would be much appreciated.
Have a look at YMT and NYMT. They are auditioning now for the summer. Just the audition itself is a useful way of gauging ability compared to others of a similar age and if she does get a place the 2 week summer production is a fantastic experience in being part of a professional company. It doesn't come cheap but there are reductions available. Feel free to PM me and good luck
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Hi Dizzy

It is useful Urdang has supplied a list of songs and monologues to choose from. Pick ones your DD can have a go at and if she has singing lessons her singing teacher can help prepare before the course. The pre-audition course is there to support and guide her so don't panic too much before this and she has a year before any auditions. It is a good idea to read the whole play when preparing the monologue (at least know what is about /see the play if she doesn't have time to read everything before the course). Ask your DD to keep a log of her course so she can remember helpful things this year. YMT and NYMT are good but expensive if she is preparing for auditions and student life. certainly worth a go if time and cost not an issue (NYMT rehearse at Easter which can clash with revision for exams) I would say a summer school would be helpful eg GSA do a 2 week MT course or I am sure there are some closer to you in Scotland - the Conservatoire in Glasgow?

Your DD needs to spend this year reading plays and seeing performances, try to find a drama group or youth theatre for her to join (is there one at school?) and continue singing and dance lessons. I think it is helpful for parents to really study a few drama school websites in detail as they all vary and there is quite a lot to understand in terms of fees and funding. If dance is a strength your DD might like Bird College - she will need reference from dance teacher and photographs in ballet positions to apply there.

Hope she enjoys the pre voc course at Urdang.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Heartily endorse the comprehensive advice above. Remember these are training courses and will not be taken into account when she auditions in 2018. It will be her performance on the day which matters.
Dizzyaboutdance
Nominee

Dizzyaboutdance wrote:Hi Folks
Dizzyaboutdance
Nominee

Doffiler1 - thank you very much for the information/ advice, I definitely feel a bit more positive having read everyone's comments and have a lot to discuss with DD re further lessons. Urdang has definitely stolen her heart. Thank you for the offer to pm you regarding further advice. This is something I will take up in the future if you don't mind. O:)
DOFFILER1 wrote:Hi If your dd, like mine did, has her heart set on Urdang, you have definately done the right thing by booking her on the Pre-Audition course.
We were in a similar situation where dd had only really danced, so had to have some private singing and acting lessons and discovered an amazing singing voice, we never knew she had.
At 17 she did the pre-audition course and realised that she had a lot more to do before she was ready to start a full time MT course. She took an board the feedback and completed a year's drama school foundation course that covers everything. This time last year she did her first audition at Urdang and is now a first year student there, and loves it. Your dd's singing teacher can help her to prepare a song, and there must be a teacher at school to help with the monologue. There is not much I don't know now about the audition and funding process, so feel free to pm me. The first audition at Urdang is more about the dancing than the singing/acting, but she still has a year to develop those areas.
Dizzyaboutdance
Nominee

Thank you everyone for your help/advice. It is much appreciated and given me a few things to look into. O:)
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Hi dizzyaboutdance....My DD is more of a dancer too, and I was worried about the singing when she did the Urdang Pre Audition course as she can get anxiety attacks when singing. However the teachers were great and very understanding. All the students had different strengths and weaknesses in singing and in dance. I would definately recommend it. Xxxx
Dizzyaboutdance
Nominee

Robin64 thank you for your response. Having read everyone's response I feel much more relaxed for the time being. I have said to dd that she will need to start thinking about taking drama classes but she wants to wait until her exams are out of the way. However your advice regrading reading plays and going to more performances is something I will take on board. O:)
Robin64 wrote:Hi Dizzy

It is useful Urdang has supplied a list of songs and monologues to choose from. Pick ones your DD can have a go at and if she has singing lessons her singing teacher can help prepare before the course. The pre-audition course is there to support and guide her so don't panic too much before this and she has a year before any auditions. It is a good idea to read the whole play when preparing the monologue (at least know what is about /see the play if she doesn't have time to read everything before the course). Ask your DD to keep a log of her course so she can remember helpful things this year. YMT and NYMT are good but expensive if she is preparing for auditions and student life. certainly worth a go if time and cost not an issue (NYMT rehearse at Easter which can clash with revision for exams) I would say a summer school would be helpful eg GSA do a 2 week MT course or I am sure there are some closer to you in Scotland - the Conservatoire in Glasgow?

Your DD needs to spend this year reading plays and seeing performances, try to find a drama group or youth theatre for her to join (is there one at school?) and continue singing and dance lessons. I think it is helpful for parents to really study a few drama school websites in detail as they all vary and there is quite a lot to understand in terms of fees and funding. If dance is a strength your DD might like Bird College - she will need reference from dance teacher and photographs in ballet positions to apply there.

Hope she enjoys the pre voc course at Urdang.