When do you stop supporting dreams?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

When do you stop supporting dreams?

Post by gingerbam »

So dd has wanted to be a performer since 9, she has had some close calls with auditions but never got the "big" break so to speak. She trains, in dance , MT and private singing lessons. My husband says she doesn't have "it", and I am beginning to doubt too (only due to lack of success with auditions). She is 15 and wants to go to drama school or do MT after 16. Is there a point at which you say to your child that there training is not going to earn them a living? My belief is that you are a on time working and doing something that you may not enjoy so no harm in dreaming and us making financial sacrifices for a while longer. I am realistic, she is very capable, NOT a dancer but she can dance, her acting and singing are better, is she the best? No, and I have never told her she is, I have said she needs to work hard. But does there come a point where you say that it will never happen? Her interests are only MT, no other.
Interested to know other views.
Thanks
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: When do you stop supporting dreams?

Post by ACookie »

I think it's a really hard question and probably only one that eventually your daughter can answer. MT is incredibly competitive, as is the whole profession... But not only does it come down to talent and dedication but the right look, being in the right place at the right time and that magic ingredient of luck. My DD is nearly 14 and has been fortunate enough to have had some childhood success both in MT and acting work professionally, but it's still incredibly hard to get a foot in the door for the next role and there are so many out there also trying to do the same. If your DD has the dedication and perseverance at the moment, and you are in a position to support her, then I'd be letting her continue to try. Education is always something that can be picked up again in the future and if this is her passion she's more likely to work hard and be happy. If the oppounities don't come her way then maybe she will make the decision herself to persue a different avenue. But I'd want her to be the one to choose, not me.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

If you let her apply for drama school then the decision may well be made for her. So many apply, the audition process is hard, so if she is good enough, she will come through, if not, that would be the time to re-evaluate.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Auditions for what? Mine was with an agent from age 11-15 but only ever had a handful of auditions thrown her way and never got selected. Yet she auditioned for National Youth Theatre for the first time at 16 and got in. I never thought her agent was that good at submitting her for jobs though we knew others at her drama group, probably working at the same level who got chosen plenty. It's not always about how good you are, depending on what the audition is for, sometimes it can be are you the right 'fit' You've mentioned her being a better actor but not that she takes acting lessons, maybe this is something you could consider she needs to persue in order to help with the other areas. I'd agree with letting her audition at 16/18 and see how she gets on.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

Thanks all, great replies and agree with you all. Just having a mum wobble moment.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

gingerbam wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am Thanks all, great replies and agree with you all. Just having a mum wobble moment.
Sorry to hear that, unfortunately that goes on for years. Each stage is a different experience with it's moments of happiness and sadness.
I hope you get to experience more happiness than sadness, we have all been there x