Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by lawn »

MTDreams wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:13 pm
lawn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm With 5 weeks to go till daughter started her acting degree at drama school, today she has had an offer from a more prestigious place for foundation! Arrgghhh, not sure what we're doing yet.
Oh gosh! Where has she been offered? How does your DD feel about it?
Daughter has been excited since she got the email! I'm the cautious one who says 'hold one, what about this and what about that'

She is speaking to foundation place tomorrow. I will update as and when I can give information out!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

We are thinking £100-£120 per week...basing it on friends with children at Uni...this is to cover petrol and food etc...hoping she spends a lot less though!
As long days and basically eating and sleeping at night. I have been advised to pay it weekly not monthly then no chance to blow it and run short...although I don't think much in Basildon to blow cash on tbh. If it was London I think it can easily go on buses/ fares/ cafes etc...
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Wonder how the Bird reserve list is moving....any news? We had an email asking if we wanted to be considered for diploma too...that's all
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

dancelifemum wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:59 pm Wonder how the Bird reserve list is moving....any news? We had an email asking if we wanted to be considered for diploma too...that's all
I imagine there will be some movement next week after A level results day (Tuesday) for the degree and GCSE results day (Thursday) for the Diploma. I'm not sure what Bird do if someone doesn't get the minimum grades but some DCs might change their minds once their results are through. My DS dropped out of the Bird Diploma at the last minute 2 years ago as he decided (the day before school term started) that he wanted to stay and do A levels. At least that won't happen this year!
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Two girls from my daughter’s college were both offered diploma a few weeks ago after being on the degree waiting list.
One accepted and one declined but both asked to stay on the list for degree after being told they were near the top.
Neither of them have been offered degree yet so i don’t think there’s been much movement yet.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:01 pm Two girls from my daughter’s college were both offered diploma a few weeks ago after being on the degree waiting list.
One accepted and one declined but both asked to stay on the list for degree after being told they were near the top.
Neither of them have been offered degree yet so i don’t think there’s been much movement yet.
No I don't think so either as we were told we were in the top 'third' although we have no idea if that is hundreds of students :lol:
There would be no point in us going on the diploma list too as we wouldn't be eligible for a dada.
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

Hey guys!
Coming on here again after a while and seeing everyone talking about money got me thinking! I'm going to Laines in September and my parents are paying for my tuition (which I am super grateful for) but not any of my living costs, travel costs, uniform costs etc. This means I'll need to get a job as ofc Laines is a diploma and I don't think I could've gotten any other funding as my parents earn over the income bracket. I am quite worried about the stress and time management and my parents don't seem to understand!! Any suggestions?

Thank you :))
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

evie03 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:25 am Hey guys!
Coming on here again after a while and seeing everyone talking about money got me thinking! I'm going to Laines in September and my parents are paying for my tuition (which I am super grateful for) but not any of my living costs, travel costs, uniform costs etc. This means I'll need to get a job as ofc Laines is a diploma and I don't think I could've gotten any other funding as my parents earn over the income bracket. I am quite worried about the stress and time management and my parents don't seem to understand!! Any suggestions?

Gosh, that’s a lot you’ll have to earn…Firstly, massive congratulations on your place at Laine…well done you! I hope you have some savings to help you on your way. If not already get a summer job now as much easier to earn more 6 days a week over summer than when you’re training. My DS has a job as a waiter & of course with that comes tips which help his savings (but he won’t be paying his rent so his are just for his own expenses). You’re going to need bare minimum approx £850/900 a month for rent, clothes, food etc in my opinion. Very good luck, you’re going to have to work hard! Xx
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Have you contacted Laine to see if they can help with funds at all? Always think if you don’t ask you don’t get, and if they say no then you’re no worse off! My daughter is at Wilkes and it is a very full on course with long hours, some of her friends work part-time but they are exhausted so to have to earn enough to cover all your rent etc every month is going to be really hard on you. The suggestion above is the best, try to find work while you are at home and earn as much as you can, my daughter has a job in retail and this money then lasts her while she is at college. I hope you manage to find a solution and good for you for wanting to work so hard for your dream x
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Hi evie, Did you get the CTF (child trust fund) when you were born? If you did there should be a minimum of £500 in it plus any interest, if you haven't touched it since it matured when you turned 18.

Have you had look at the cost of rent where you'll be going? That is likely to be your single biggest outgoing, once you've met the initial cost of kit and equipment to live away.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

You are an impressive young woman to take on all that responsibility towards achieving your dreams!!! I’d echo what everyone has said, try to get some work over the summer to save up and then a weekend job once you’ve started. I’m guessing that you’ll be able to still live at home as you’ve said ‘living costs’ not accommodation costs? If that’s correct that will take some of financial pressure and stress off and would leave you to save more towards travel, uniform and all your other expenses. Where possible it will really help your stress levels if you can organise your time well. If you’re working in the evenings and on the weekends, make sure you have at least a few hours to yourself. Your mental health will need some downtime. Good luck!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I said I'd update my news when I could. This week my daughter has received an offer for foundation at Rose Bruford and has decided to take it, over the degree offer she had for Acting at a less well known place.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 am I said I'd update my news when I could. This week my daughter has received an offer for foundation at Rose Bruford and has decided to take it, over the degree offer she had for Acting at a less well known place.
Fantastic news lawn! Lots of planning to do no doubt now. Exciting times 😁
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

I really admire your work ethic...are they paying for your accommodation? As you mention living costs but it would be a considerable ask if also your rent as well? As someone has said there may be a few thousand in any CTF you may have from the govt. My daughter's matured recently at 18...and we only added some to to but even friends that didn't add to it received a few thousand.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Amf wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:15 pm
lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 am I said I'd update my news when I could. This week my daughter has received an offer for foundation at Rose Bruford and has decided to take it, over the degree offer she had for Acting at a less well known place.
Fantastic news lawn! Lots of planning to do no doubt now. Exciting times 😁
Certainly, last minute accommodation to find.

To anyone else also looking for somewhere to rent , please be very careful. We are still checking it out but we believe we have come very close to being scammed. Thankfully we hadn't parted with any money. Thank goodness for a husband who thought something wasn't ringing correct.

ETA - Yes, is a scam. Daughter has spoken to lady whose name and details are being used. It is part of a police investigation and she's asked us to report our case too. Daughter was on the official college page for finding somewhere but had responded to someone saying they knew someone.