Auditioning for 2024 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

K8t
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2024 entry

Post by K8t »

Just a side note - I’m at Jesus Christ Superstar tonight, all te cast are either Arts, GSA, Urdang and Italia Conti

Says it all.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

K8t wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:51 pm
biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:02 pm @K8 if you had to rank her 3 skills (acting, singing, dance), what order what you put them in? Just trying to think where might suit!
Acting - through song is very good - singing, dance.

She’s concentrating on Foundations this time, but I think she should apply for BA too
So GSA is right up her street. Would she look at Mountview Foundation/degree, or does the cost rule it out? (It did for us!).
Have a look at Urdang. They are trying to shed their 'just for dancers' image and we know quite a few actor-singers there now.
Also, if acting is the biggest love, what about an Acting degree? My DS really enjoys MT, decided he was an actor first and foremost but his course involves plenty of movement, dance and singing, and being at GSA he's able to take extra singing and dance lessons too...
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

K8t wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:55 pm Just a side note - I’m at Jesus Christ Superstar tonight, all te cast are either Arts, GSA, Urdang and Italia Conti

Says it all.
Although a friend went to Grease and said there were 2 from Chichester in the cast and they were excellent!
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:28 pm
K8t wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:55 pm Just a side note - I’m at Jesus Christ Superstar tonight, all te cast are either Arts, GSA, Urdang and Italia Conti

Says it all.
Although a friend went to Grease and said there were 2 from Chichester in the cast and they were excellent!
I think Chichester will start coming through now and we will see more, strangely enough she just played Rizzo at our local theatre!
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:27 pm
biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:02 pm @K8 if you had to rank her 3 skills (acting, singing, dance), what order what you put them in? Just trying to think where might suit!

She’s concentrating on Foundations this time, but I think she should apply for BA too
So GSA is right up her street. Would she look at Mountview Foundation/degree, or does the cost rule it out? (It did for us!).
Have a look at Urdang. They are trying to shed their 'just for dancers' image and we know quite a few actor-singers there now.
Also, if acting is the biggest love, what about an Acting degree? My DS really enjoys MT, decided he was an actor first and foremost but his course involves plenty of movement, dance and singing, and being at GSA he's able to take extra singing and dance lessons too...
Sounds perfect for your DS, I’ve always wanted her to go through the acting route, most good courses do have dance and singing as part of the course.

We could afford Mountview, she didn’t send a tape last year, the Charleston dance but put her off, but she has perfected it now - crazy reason!
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

Mountview announced their auditions today and they are in person for 1st rounds including regional venues.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:27 pm

How much dance (and what style) and singing is there on the course in comparison to acting? Dd loves movement but if there’s too much dance and singing I’m not sure the course would be right for her (although I know acting courses do singing, I wasn’t aware of dance).
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

38ta wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 am Mountview announced their auditions today and they are in person for 1st rounds including regional venues.
I saw!! Manchester too, which is ideal for us.
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

38ta wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 am Mountview announced their auditions today and they are in person for 1st rounds including regional venues.
Just on way home from Mountview Open Day. DD very keen, I’m not so keen on the fees! 😳
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Sahara wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Just on way home from Mountview Open Day. DD very keen, I’m not so keen on the fees! 😳
Is it right you can only get £6,000 towards them?
Sahara
BRIT Award

Post by Sahara »

K8t wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:40 pm
Sahara wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Is it right you can only get £6,000 towards them?
Yes, it’s £15k a year and you can only get £6k student loan.
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

I’ve never managed to get my head round why the student is hit at both sides with the higher fees but then getting the lower loan amount. Even with the full loan amount it’s out of most people’s budget.

When we originally looked at all the different courses I’d said to ds no point applying to mountview /arts Ed etc but at his college they say audition then worry! He’s had friends get into these places this year with no ability to pay the extra but somehow managed to get funding through scholarships etc. No idea if they are means tested but if so we wouldn’t qualify but as they are so hard to get into anyway I’m not putting him off trying.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

38ta wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:07 pm I’ve never managed to get my head round why the student is hit at both sides with the higher fees but then getting the lower loan amount. Even with the full loan amount it’s out of most people’s budget.

When we originally looked at all the different courses I’d said to ds no point applying to mountview /arts Ed etc but at his college they say audition then worry! He’s had friends get into these places this year with no ability to pay the extra but somehow managed to get funding through scholarships etc. No idea if they are means tested but if so we wouldn’t qualify but as they are so hard to get into anyway I’m not putting him off trying.
From previous posts on the subject, I believe it is because Arts and MV are classed as private Unis as their degrees are what they have created themselves. Private Unis you can only get student finance for tuition upto £6K regardless of how much the degree costs. Whereas other drama schools degrees have their degrees backed by a Uni so their tuition fees the student can get student finance for the full amount (upto £9250).

I know of 3 people that went to Mv on Dadas (when they did them), person 1, it cost his parents a fortune, but they have a connected to the arts side hustle and did a few fund raisers that helped, person 2 had cheap lodgings via a family connection and also had a w/end job so managed, person 3 dropped out in the first year for several reasons, finances being one of them.

I told DD the first year she applied she could try for MV and Arts and in the event of her being successful (she wasn't) we'd look to see how financially viable it was but in the event of her doing a foundation (which she did) then she could only look at courses that were fully funded as the money was only there once.
Last edited by lawn on Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, my DD has just attended the Italia Conti audition preparation course, which she enjoyed and found useful, but I think it was a bit of a reality check for her! She had thought her singing was her strength as she has got a strong belt but although she received overall good feedback on her singing, they said she needed to improve her technique and confidence. In addition, they said to the group in general that bad breathing technique in singing was a red flag and they would mark them down in an audition. My question is surely that is what the professional course is for, teaching proper technique, etc? They always say they look for potential and trainability in auditions so I’m a bit confused. She’s currently at a PA 6th form college and getting singing teaching but obviously it’s not enough! Is this the level where foundations are generally offered rather than degrees?
38ta
GRAMMY Award

Post by 38ta »

lawn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:47 pm
38ta wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:07 pm I’ve never managed to get my head round why the student is hit at both sides with the higher fees but then getting the lower loan amount. Even with the full loan amount it’s out of most people’s budget.

From previous posts on the subject, I believe it is because Arts and MV are classed as private Unis as their degrees are what they have created themselves. Private Unis you can only get student finance for tuition upto £6K regardless of how much the degree costs. Whereas other drama schools degrees have their degrees backed by a Uni so their tuition fees the student can get student finance for the full amount (upto £9250).

I know of 3 people that went to MW on Dadas (when they did them), person 1, it cost his parents a fortune, but they have a connected to the arts side hustle and did a few fund raisers that helped, person 2 had cheap lodgings via a family connection and also had a w/end job so managed, person 3 dropped out in the first year for several reasons, finances being one of them.

I told DD the first year she applied she could try for MV and Arts and in the event of her being successful (she wasn't) we'd look to see how financially viable it was but in the event of her doing a foundation (which she did) then she could only look at courses that were fully funded as the money was only there once.
Isn’t arts Ed through city of London university and mountview East anglia? The whole thing just confuses me!